View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:20 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Caring for Mother 99 with severe dementia. 

Post Caring for Mother 99 with severe dementia.
Hi I have just had to put my Mother in hospice. Being 99 and having severe dementia with its normal problems such as memory loss, lethargy, combativeness and paranoia she is understandable confused being at a new place. I was told that she was being combative and trying to leave. Now my Mother cannot walk. I don't see how she was trying to leave. Having said that she is combative and can be verbally loud. I was told that she was not sleeping well at night so she had been given some meds to help with that. Then I was told they helped and she was doing fine. The next day I was told she was hard to handle all day and she was yelling for me to come over. ( I question this since she hardly remembers who I am) Anyway I had to wait until the day after her "bad" day to do over. When I got there she was asleep in a recliner and looked well cared for. I approached her calmly as to not frighten her with a sudden wake up. She did not respond. I finally got to the point that I was opening her eyes with my fingers, lifting her arms, patting her on the cheek. Nothing, nada. It was to me like she was in a coma. They took her pulse and BP and that was all fine. My Mother has NEVER been unable to wake up. I asked if they had given her anything to calm her down since she had been combative the day before. They said no.

I am concerned that she may have been medicated to the extent of no response in order to make life easier for them at the Hospice house. I asked if she had been given anything and they said no. I am in a place where I don't know exactly what to do because if I take her out she will lose her medicare coverage for hospice. I just know she was drugged and I would have accepted that if they had said they had done so to calm her down. BUR really, lifting her eyelids and no response? Realy?
Any suggestion to what you thing was going on and/ or what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I am 75 myself and this is sooo stressful. I would appreciate any help and suggestions. I just feel like she is being sedated.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]