View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 New and Need support 

Post New and Need support
My partner has been in a period of decline for about 3 years. It is hard for me to imagine that only 5 years ago, we go kart raced on dirt tracks, snow skied, went on several big trips, camped, went sailing, snorkeling, worked out daily.... No time for TV. Starting in 2013 there was a change and since then he can do less and less.

He has gone from being a practicing federal attorney to a just a shadow of his former self. He sleeps nearly all of the time. He can't keep up with his medications or Doctor appointments. He stopped being able to use a calendar. His computer frustrates him as does his smart phone. He has had repeated falls and after three falls that caused fractures, he now doesn't even go room to room without a walker.

I have to work so hard to get anyone to listen or take his symptoms seriously. After recording several crazy sleep episodes, his neurologist finally diagnosed the REM sleep disorder that I knew he had. I had to bring up my concerns to the doctor about dementia with my sweetie sitting right there, understanding what I was saying.

The neurologist had an MRI of his brain done and now we wait for the Neuropsychiatric exam which won't be until May.

I keep reading that dementia has to be diagnosed. Is that what the neuropsychiatric exam is for? And what if he's having one of his good days? Will my concerns never be taken seriously?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Post Re: New and Need support
TRock wrote:

I keep reading that dementia has to be diagnosed. Is that what the neuropsychiatric exam is for? And what if he's having one of his good days? Will my concerns never be taken seriously?

The neuropsyc exam evaluates cognitive function and will determine dementia. And even if he's having a good day, these tests will show deficiencies. Our Alzheimer's center interviewed me separately from my husband. They care a lot about both of us. We're lucky to have them.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]