View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Beware of unaware Psychologists. 

Post Beware of unaware Psychologists.
I am my Mother's supervisor, she prefers that title over caregiver because even though she hasn't been independent since the genesis of her decline in 2012 with a Diagnosis of "some sort of dementia" coming May 5th 2013 after a week long stay at a Crisis Management Unit which was her third stay in a similar CMU due to a misdiagnosis of clinical depression. Once we were saddled with a Psychiatrist who identified her symptoms, did proper testing and prescribed proper drugs she has had a much better quality of life. Mom was 67 when she boarded this roller coaster ride and it has taken her on all the loops, valleys and plateaus that it has to offer and this month has been her best yet due to the right meds. I'm aware there is a deep valley on the horizon but as long as she keeps having these refreshing temporary plateaus, it's not the end of the world. It's our job as their supervisors to make sure they get the best most knowledgeable care. Be aggressive and listen to your gut

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:16 am

Post Re: Beware of unaware Psychologists.
AmandaCross wrote:
I am my Mother's supervisor, she prefers that title over caregiver because even though she hasn't been independent since the genesis of her decline in 2012 with a Diagnosis of "some sort of dementia" coming May 5th 2013 after a week long stay at a Crisis Management Unit which was her third stay in a similar CMU due to a misdiagnosis of clinical depression. Once we were saddled with a Psychiatrist who identified her symptoms, did proper testing and prescribed proper drugs she has had a much better quality of life. Mom was 67 when she boarded this roller coaster ride and it has taken her on all the loops, valleys and plateaus that it has to offer and this month has been her best yet due to the right meds. I'm aware there is a deep valley on the horizon but as long as she keeps having these refreshing temporary plateaus, it's not the end of the world. It's our job as their supervisors to make sure they get the best most knowledgeable care. Be aggressive and listen to your gut

Amanda; greetings, LBD patient here and need to extend your caution about shrinks to pretty much every branch of the medical profession outside of neurologists. Doctors hate when patients read about stuff on the Internet and come in as self-taught "experts" on something that they are in fact full of caca on. However these same doctors don't have problems with blowing smoke up our collective rectums when they claim to know LBD and in point of fact can't even spell it. Its not like they are stupid, they just don't know everything (not a problem, all are human) but they don't know enough to say they don't know (major problem)....

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 am

You are so right Jeff and there were some real frustrating moments in the beginning when I felt like all my research on Lewy Bodies was in vain, but I soon realized that the best thing to do is Journal Mom's behavioral changes along with her Med's and take all that information to her appointments along with a pen. I tooks notes and asked lots of questions and once her Drs saw how ingaged I was and that I wanted to work with them to help Mom the best I could then they seemed to respond to that behavior better than saying, "Where'd you get your medical license, a Cracker Jack box?".

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 pm

What I have done to counteract the fact that no doctor knows everything: I tracked my mom's meds-dosage-time given/vitals including glucose/changes on behavior in an Excel spreadsheet for each along w/a list of specific questions (knowing that most of the time given is 15 minutes). I bring my laptop and have it ready for the doctors as soon as they walk in in the room. Most of the time, this expedite the process allowing them time to actually interact w/my mother instead of just treating her like another number.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 am

Amanda,

I feel like I might be in a similar situation as yours re missed diagnosis. My mom is currently diagnosed with clinical depression but to me, all signs point to LBD. May I ask what clinical treatment in regards to medications your mom is receiving? If you're not comfortable sharing I completely understand.

Right now my mom is on an anti-depressant but it is not helping with the visual hallucinations and confusion.

Thanks in advance. Nancy

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:35 pm

After informing my father's neurologist that he was having hallucinations, he was put on Zoloft. He is also on Aricept and I was floored to read one of the side effects of both meds are hallucinations. Since had the hallucinations prior to starting these meds, I should be convinced that it is a LBD symptom, not a side effect of the drugs, but his hallucinations have worsened. At this point, I'm asking myself, are these drugs having any affect on his symptoms or are they just causing more negative side effects than they are worth.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am

It's just a cat and mouse game sometimes and hopefully you find a med that helps but I've excepted that there isn't always a chemical for every symptom. It's been almost five years since mom's diagnosis and these past five months have been the longest stretch without any addition or subtraction to her daily meds. It's been great not having to go to the doctor every three months or take a trip to the ER. Sometimes the symptoms you see today morph into another the next. We are at the mercy of their brains and I try to do my best to keep her safe and comfortable. It's palliative care and that's all we can try and provide in the long run.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]