View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Just joined, need dietary suggestions 

Post Just joined, need dietary suggestions
Hello all,
Sorry, I'm posting from my phone which isn't easy with the small screen, so please forgive me jumping in and possibly bypassing some protocol. I'm in desperate need of help with my mom who has developed bad constipation. We're in Ontario, Canada and my mom has been bedridden at home with LBD for 3 years now. I tried to read some of the archived posts, but I need some more suggestions on what types of foods to avoid dealing with this constipation issue that has cropped up recently. She would have bouts of diahrrea before which now seems like a blessing in hindsight.
Mom doesn't eat a lot and she won't eat any fruit. She does eat some veggies normally. My dad who is her primary caregiver and cook is trying is doing his best as a man from the old country who never cooked a day in his life...lol. He cooks basic meals pretty well, but is a meat and potatoes type. From what I've read potato is a food to avoid...is that the consensus? What about rice?? I'm trying to put a bit of wheat bran in her scrambled eggs or other mixed stuff. She is also taking lactulose and stool softener, but it hasn't done much yet. I try to give her some other higher fibre foods when I visit from 800 miles away. She likes hummus which is a bean. But I have to wrangle a bit with my dad who is afraid of what different things might do to her or thinks just giving soft foods is the answer. So that is the story. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Arlette

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

Post Re: Just joined, need dietary suggestions
We use Benefiber (costco sells the same thing as Optifiber). It can be mixed in food or drink and is not detectable. We use 2 Tablespoons a day but one needs to adjust as needed.... good luck. ( I'm assuming you are already assuring she's getting adeq. fluids). Lewy Body Dementia Carers is a very active and supportive facebook site..... lots of Good advice.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks AnnMarie,

My mom is on a catheter and drinks a good amount of water daily and sometimes milk. She recently switched to the water after drinking nothing but ginger ale for at least a year. She didnt like water much...can't say I blame her. Her catheter bag shows a good output. I'm just wondering if switching from the ginger ale could have an affect on her bowel?
Thanks for your fibre suggestion.
Arlette

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi!

My dad had the same problem...things just did flow as well as they used to. We started giving him an organic tea called Smooth Move. It works wonders. Keeps everything regular.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]