View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:35 am

Forum rules

LBDA reserves the right to edit and/or delete posts deemed inappropriate for these forums. We may remove content from your post if we believe it violates our guidelines or inhibits other member’s ability to use our forums to obtain information and support. LBDA does not accept posts promoting for-profit activities or not-for profit solicitations of any kind.
In order to participate in the LBDA Message Boards you will be required to register and will be given access to Post and Reply to information there. Please be advised that all your comments and posts are available to be viewed by the public.
The Message Boards are monitored and moderated by volunteers and staff. If you discover inappropriate content, please flag it (icon within post). You may also send an email to forums@lbda.org to report inappropriate content.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Husband has been diagnosed with LBD 

Post Husband has been diagnosed with LBD
We have been trying to findo out what was wrong with him for 2yrs. They thought it was parkinsons then three weeks ago they finally came up with LBD. Not sure where to go from here. He's on aricept and today he was put on zoloft. So far he's not to bad but what should I expectopic.
Mamaj1119

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Post Re: Husband has been diagnosed with LBD
Mamaj, expect something different every few days until it becomes every few hours. Be creative and agreeable and admit when he rants that everything's your fault, but for your sanity, always add " but I'm doing the best I know right now." Explain everything you do for him before you do it or it will startle him--those are the times since my husband became bedbound that I almost got slugged. Good that we can move faster than Parkinson's let's HIM move, right? Back away when nothing is getting thru to him. In ten seconds, walk up smiling and quiet and ask if he'd like some water, coffee, or God's gift to caregivers: ice cream. If he leaves doors open, buy the door closers at Home Depot: $12-14. Easy fix. If he leaves water running, there are sensors that can be installed--more expensive but beats a flooded bathroom. Sensors for lights he leaves on too. Cover or take down mirrors if the reflections make him worry about all those people in the room. Note reflections in the room if he starts seeing cars driving toward him. Remind him with every breathe that he's safe. Let friends help when they offer!!!! It was hard for me but it's vital to your disposition. Make darn sure he has a will and a living will--get your legal work, POA, etc., done now, and know it's not too late. Talk over final plans, put them in the will, and tell the family so some distraught, self-centered person can't decide things for him or for you. Ask your doc for hospice referral when it's time, and say yes to DNR-tough, but do it. Make a list of his meds, and at the top put in giant letters NO ANTI-PSYCHOTICS!! and if he's hospitalized for any reason, make a big sign like that and put it on his door! Write it on his forehead with a Sharpie, and say it to every nurse and doc because they don't know! This is about a tenth of what I could say, but I'll stop. We're in Year 6, and near the end of this crazy ride. Always have something to look forward to, even if it's just a cup of tea in the morning. Good luck!

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am

Suzaroo thank you so much for the info. Alot of this I never thought of. We do have wills and living wills but we moved to a different state so we have to make sure it will be accepted where we are.right now he on hydrocod for back pain and trying to get off. Neurolist the said it's not good for him to be on them with the memory problem. Does your husband have the tremors also? May I ask how old your husband is.? IS he still at home? My husband biggest thing is not being able to do somethings he also has emphema so he has trouble breathing sometimes. He gets mad when I do things that he would do. He's 78.he's doing good otherwise. The doc has mentioned getting help when it gets worse. But that could be awhile. We'll see. I just take it one day at a Time and keep him busy
Mamaj

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm

So many health issues you're dealing with--goodness. My husband is 67, and thanks to hospice, we've stayed home through this. He'll be gone soon--not sure how he survived today. He's has nothing by mouth for two days. It will not say "died peacefully at home" in his obituary. There's been little peaceful about any of this experience!

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:34 am

Today begins Day 8 NPO for my 67-yr old husband. We're at home and had no hospital trips, so I'm grateful for that. I kept my promise to his mom. At this point, I think I'll be somewhat surprised when he stops breathing. Of all the insanity of Lewy body dementia, I don't think dying is the worst part by any means. When I think of all the demons he's had--we've had--to live with the last few months, death will be a safe place for him. He won't have to worry anymore...

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 am

You seem very strong and handling this as well as you can I hope I can be as strong as you when it comes to that point. My prayers are with you and that he will be at peace when it ends. Just remember when he goes he will be at peace and so will you to know he won't suffer any more

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]