View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:21 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Bad meds for pneumonia treatment? 

Post Bad meds for pneumonia treatment?
We are going to the hospital as Jerome is showing clear symptoms of pneumonia. Are there any medications that they may want to use to treat the pneumonia that are contraindicated with LBD? Thanks!

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:08 pm
Sorry to hear Jerome is sick, he will be fine with the antibotics but be careful of the cough meds. I hope he is OK, Let us know !

Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks, Irene! He has a mild pneumonia so they prescribed Keflex and said to come back if there is no significant improvement in four days. Surprisingly, the urgent care doctor was savvy enough to know that there was no good cough medicine she could prescribe that would be safe for Jerome with DLB.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm glad you were able to bring him home. I think everyone has been waiting to hear. It's best when you are on top of things and know when he needs help. You are a good wife. Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Glad to hear that it's "only" mild pneumonia and that Jerome is already back home.

Have you guys done the swallow study recently?

We did find two cough medicines that were OK. My dad took them and thought one of them worked. We didn't really know if either worked but the MD said "if he thinks it works, let him take it." The two meds were: Delsym cough syrup (this is DM; Dad thought this worked) and Tessalon ("pearls" or gel caps).

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 am

Thank you for your kind notes, and for the cough med suggestions. I called our pharmacist (who is the best) to ask about plain Mucinex -- the expectorant only (guaifenesin) -- to help bring up the gunk without Jerome having to cough so hard (has already pulled his intercostal muscles badly from all the strain). May go with that in the morning if things aren't clearing more easily.

We're trying to plan our next Mayo/Scottsdale trip and the swallow study is on the list of objectives. That, and another movement test to see if the new tremors and twitching are an onset of PD.

Your advice and support are deeply, deeply appreciated.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:50 am
- the expectorant only (guaifenesin) --new tremors and twitching are an onset of PD.

Dear Renata,
I am glad you were able to bring Jerome home and he didn't need to go to the hospital, sounds like you caught it in time. I found the guaifenesin worked best with no side effects, I was wondering if the twitching is the start of myoclonic jerks, I have heard of this in LBD.
I hope he is improving with the antibotics, they really can be a wonder drug.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:54 am

I spoke with the neuro about my husband's jerks and he has told me that they are myoclonic jerks, he has had them for the last 6 months. He said they come from the dimentia...so I am guessing the LBD is the root cause. Wonder where this puts him in terms of progression. The doc said if he treats it the meds will make him a "zombie". So I guess we will live with it.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm

You can also speak with the neurologist about the Mucinex (guaifenisin). We thought this helped Dad's congestion a great deal. I think the dosage on the box is 1200 mg Bid (for a total of 2400 mg/day). Our neuro said to go to 1800 mg Bid. We bought Mucinex in the 500 tablet jars, and it was cheaper that way. Unfortunately this is not a med that can be crushed.
Robin

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:37 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]