View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ativan/Lorazepam - Bad Drugs - 

Post Ativan/Lorazepam - Bad Drugs -
I need assistance with this as quickly as possible....PLEASE

Following my father's diagnosis with LDB, I obtained from this site the "BAD MEDS" lists. The "well versed" medical personnel were about to begin treating hime with Seroquel. As this was on the list I did heavy research and found how seriously dangerous this drug was for my dad and advised that they were not to give this to him. They agreed reluctantly and I provided the BAD MEDS list to my father's primary physician (and diagnostic psychiatrist) and identified that my father should not receive any of the drugs. A month goes by and my father is doing well.

Then, things start to change a bit with my father's behaviour and he became more confused, suffered increased memory impairment, began to have significant falls and became increasingly drowsy.

I went for a visit (I live a number of hours away from him) and I checked his medications. Low and behold. :shock: ATIVAN/LORAZEPAM was being given to him. I advised the nursing staff to cease same. I in follow-up met with his doctor and again provided the BAD MEDS list and advised that my father is NOT to receive the drugs on these lists. The doctor advised that he has other patients on this and the drug is no problem with them. I still did not agree to this. (I am Power of Attorney for Personal Care for my father.)

Now, all of a sudden the psychiatrist that was called in to do the initial diagnosis of LBD, who has not seen my father for more than a month and a half, came to my father's room tonight and attempted to convince him to agree to taking this med. My father told her no, talk to my daughter. He called me quite upset by the whole incident. (The psychiatrist advised me when she first saw my dad to diagnose him, she advised that she has just graduated). This in my opinion was extremely unprofessional.

Sorry that I am so long winded with this story....but I need help. Can anyone provide me with reputable sites/reports/articles regarding the dangers of ATIVAN/LORAEPAM for treatment of LBD or Dementia. It appears to me that as the psyciatrist advised my father she would be calling me regarding this, I would like to be in the position to provide concrete proof of the cautions/warnings regarding this drug with LBD individuals, and protect my father. I need to ensure that my father can live with as much quality of life for as long as is possible.

Please help me if you can !!!!

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 pm

There is only one list I know of that was written by an MD and Ativan isn't on that list. (Search for "Gerpen.") Even if it were, why would one MD trust some other MD who wrote a hand-out for a caregiver symposium on LBD.....?

Basically, you are on your own.

I agree with your characterization of the psychiatrist. Can you get another psychiatrist? I wouldn't trust this one further than I could spit her. (Sorry....that's not very nice.)

Robin

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:32 am

Post Ativan
Wendy, I don't have any back ground or a very long history of dealing with the meds for LBD. My husband had adverse reaction to Ativan and when he was in the hosipal to have his gallbladder removed, they gave him Ativan and said it was not for him. He had no clue, who, where or what life was about. A second trip to the hosiptal because of confustion, I told the ER nurses and Drs he could not have ativan. It was all over his chart and he wore a red wrist band that alerted not to give 3 meds, one was ativan. No one paid attention and they gave it to him and then had to sedate him. I was very vocal with everyone at how disappointed I was with their carelessness. BUT again, I found they thought is would calm him. and again he was sedate and like a zompie for most of the day. Unless you control the meds, I don't know if you can be comfortable with what they are giving. Good luck with your Dad. Gerry

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 am

Gerry, thanks. It is unfortunate that some portions of the medical community choose to ignore. I can certainly understand your disappointment. This is frustrating and scary for our family members with LBD and for caregivers/family members attempting to advocate for their loved ones. I agree with you, unfortunately due lack of LBD knowledge, carelessness and at times a touch of arrogance within some portions of the medical community, the quality of life of our loved ones, can take a serious nosedive.

Due to the fact that my father has been given 2 of the "bad meds" now, one that could have cost him his life, I will continue to do my best to ensure that my dad's quality of life is not impacted by incompetance. A copy of the Bad Meds lists has been provided to the doctors and a copy is also placed on his "er file" with a copy of the Power of Attorney for Personal Care (POA-PC)and a letter of direction that these meds are not to be given without expressed written consent from the POA - PC. Somehow I have found that placing things in writing with a signature tends to be binding.

In summary Gerry, I truly wish you and your husband the best and hope that your voice is heard and respected. Thank you time and for your response.
\

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks Robin. You are correct, there is one written by an MD, this is one of the bad meds lists that I was discussing and one of the two that I have provided to the medical personnell.

The second bad list was one posted by yourself and Irene previously. Possibly this list is no longer considered valid...if so please let me know. This bad meds list was from Jim Whitworth, one of the founders of the LBDA. This is the one with Ativan on it.

In reference to this list , I realize that this list is not from an MD, but from what I have seen thus far within the medical community, I have significant confidence in lists from the association and information from caregivers regarding the negative responses. In supplement to this list I do extensive research to have supporting facts prior to discussing it with the doctors. Should this research indicate to me that there is no cause for concern, I would certainly remove these drugs from the BAD DRUGS LISTS on file. I guess I am just a little deperate to protect my father and ensure my feeble attempts to maintain his quality of life for as long as I can.

In reference to the behavior of the psyc. , thanks for the support on this point. I will discuss my concerns regarding her behaviour with her when she calls to discuss the Seroquel and Ativan. If I discover that this is what occured, I will certainly take your advice and investigative replacing her.

Once again, Robin, thanks very much for time and support. Greatly appreciated.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:44 am

One thing I have heard recommended in the past is to indicate that your mother is ALLERGIC to the medications on this list. That's a little different than saying "don't give my mother medications on this list."

Re: the Whitworth list that I posted (and Irene S. re-posted shortly thereafter)......Jim Whitworth is one of the founders of the LBDA. He's a caregiver. It's as valid as any other caregiver info you get here or on the Yahoo!Group.

Maybe LBDdoc can say why the LBDA has not published a "bad medications" list.

The one-who-is-not-really-here (EricSEA) has been working on an adverse reactions drug study. It could be that the LBDA threw its weight behind that effort rather than something else (such as revising/approving the Whitworth list).

There is the ER card that the LBDA has published. Have you checked that? I don't think it mentions Ativan. I think it mentions antipsychotics, and says something like "only give traditional antipsychotics if you absolutely have to, give them for a short period of time only, and switch as soon as possible to an atypical antipsychotic such as Seroquel."

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks Robin, for the tip regarding allergic reaction and I have ordered a wallet card for my father. I have not received it yet and did not realize that is would be specific regarding drugs. Thanks for the info on this.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Does any other caregiver out there have any information or experiences with their LDB family member and the use of ativan?

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:35 pm

We gave my father ativan once - and would never do it again. Instead of calming him in any way it made it 10x worse. But that is just my father's experience and my 10 cents worth.

Kani

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Sorry to hear that your father went thru this. Did things improve once the ativan was stopped? Your dime is worth a fortune....thanks for sharing. My very best to you and your father.

Wendy

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Post Ativan
They gave my husband Ativan and he absolutely flipped out...scarey dilusions...our NEW neuro said it was acute delirium. Spent a week in the hospital. The NEW neuro will not even give requip or tylenol with codeine. Am waiting to see if he will add namenda to the excelon patch...does anyone have any experience with the 9.2 patch? Our OLD neuro never even called me back until 10 days afater my crisis call...unbelievable!!

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Yes my dad did improve but not before going through a pretty rough time - actually about a year ago. Since then he has gone to assisted living where he is past the point where he fears what is happening to him. He lives in his world of his past memories, he was a Navy pilot , so he flies all the time in his mind - no place he doesn't visit - no past friend or buddy that he doesn't talk to. He has lost his anxiety and seems at peace with where he thinks he is. All in all I prefer this to when he was constantly thought the police were looking for him, he was a prisoner, trying to escape, building fires you name it and the worst thing when he knew at some level something was happening but not what it was and trying to compensate for what he was losing. That period was extremely tough and sad.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:59 am

Post lbd probable but not diagnosed, upcoming surgery
Does anyone have any experience or wisdom regarding medication procedures when you're not sure it's LBD? We know it's not Altzheimer's, Parkinson's, vascular. But the psychiatrist just says "we don't know what it is." I know we are all dealing with the unknown all the time, but my spouse is having hip replacement surgery Monday, and all I have known to do is tell the anesthesioligist he may have LBD, which of course he had never heard of. He is so much worse since surgery was scheduled, I confess I hope the psychiatrist will say (we're going tomorrow) Don't do this! Thank you to all of you.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:34 pm

It's always best in the elderly and in those with dementia to proceed cautiously. You can't go wrong by assuming that your spouse has LBD and is ultra-sensitive to medication.

Did you do a search on "anesthesia" of Forum posts?

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Robin, yes I did, and passed on the information to the anesthesioligist, generally. I didn't give him the whole list though, cause like someone said, since it wasn't from a md...Anyway he knows about the anti-chol drugs and that Lbd patients have this extreme sensitivity to medications generally, so I guess I need to quit fretting. I just know that no-one, quite naturally, cares as much about our loved ones as we do, and we have to rely on their knowledge and pray that they will care enough to take time enough to learn enough to at least "do no harm." Thanks

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next