View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:43 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 New York Times Article on Palliative Care 

Post New York Times Article on Palliative Care
There is a multi-page article in today's (Sun. Dec. 27) New York Times newspaper on palliative care called, "Hard Choice for a Comfortable Death: Drug-Induced Sleep". While it is difficult to talk about this topic, I thought someone in the group might be interested in reading about this. One patient that they discuss in the article has dementia, congestive heart failure and kidney problems.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:33 pm

I thought it was a good article, and I did forward it to the local support group though, like you, I wasn't sure how many could handle such a touchy subject. The link to the article is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/healt ... ation.html

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:23 pm

Hallelujah - I just saw this posting. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link. I am going to make copies of this and talk with my husband and children about this for myself if I become very incapacitated. I will also forward to my 83-year-old aunt who is a Slow Medicine goddess. She will love this article!
This is tough stuff to talk about it, but the more I see people in mental and physical pain at the end of their life, the more I think about this topic and believe that we shouldn't force people into "staying alive" by extraordinary means.
Thank you, thank you. Lynn

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Good article. I especially appreciated the following:
"There is one ethical guidepost for all the protocols: Terminal sedation should not become so routine that the end of life is scheduled like elective surgery, for the convenience of the doctor or the family, or because the patient’s care is no longer economically viable."

That is what concerns me most, that in the near future, with all the baby-boomers aging, the elderly, demented and disabled will be routinely euthanised because no one has the resources to care for them.

But comfort should be our first concern. Back in the 1960's, my grandmother was dying of uterine cancer and was given more than enough morphine to kill her--and it probably did, after two horrific weeks in the hospital. Given the condition she was in, no one objected, even though they knew what was happening, because her pain had been excruciating. Palliative medicine is a two-edged sword and we are obliged to use it wisely. I don't envy the physicians' situation. --Pat

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 pm

It would be nice if we had something like some European countries do, where a person not only can have an advanced directive, but can elect to let their families and doctors know what their wishes are if/when they become so ill and incapacitated, in horrendous pain and no hope of recovery. I don't know what they call it, but I know they have something like this in the Netherlands because my friend's Dutch mother just met with her kids and signed a document she made out, while she is still of sound mind.
It can be a slippery slope, I know.....

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:34 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]