View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:04 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Coenzyme Q10 + Acetyl-L-Carnitine natural supplements 

Post Coenzyme Q10 + Acetyl-L-Carnitine natural supplements
Another thing you may consider is coenzyme Q10 supplementation along with Acetyl-L-Carnitine supplements. These two natural supplements supposedly benefit rodents with PD, which has the same root cause as LBD.

http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/2/3/134/pdf

Pharmaceuticals 2009, 2, 134-149

Review

Coenzyme Q10 and Neurological Diseases

Michelangelo Mancuso *, Daniele Orsucci, Valeria Calsolaro, Anna Choub and Gabriele Siciliano
Department of Neuroscience, Neurological Clinic, University of Pisa, Tuscany, Italy*

Abstract: Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10, or ubiquinone) is a small electron carrier of the mitochondrial respiratory chain with antioxidant properties. CoQ10 supplementation hasbeen widely used for mitochondrial disorders.

CoQ10 and its analogue, idebenone, have also beenwidely used in the treatment of other neurodegenerative disorders. These compounds couldpotentially play a therapeutic role in Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease,amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Friedreich’s ataxia, and other conditions which have been linked to mitochondrial dysfunction.

--------

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2001_July/ai_76445678/pg_8/

Acetyl-L-carnitine

Quote:
Like coenzyme Q10 and NADH, acetyl-L-carnitine enhances energy production in damaged neurons. But in addition, it is one of the most important and specific antioxidants in the BrainRecovery.com protocol for Parkinson's disease. In a fascinating study reported in 1995, researchers demonstrated the ability of acetyl-L-carnitine to completely prevent parkinsonism in laboratory animals. When laboratory animals are exposed to the brain toxin MPTP, they immediately develop full-blown parkinsonism as a consequence of enhanced production of destructive free radicals specifically in the brain area that produces dopamine. Pre-treating the animals with acetyl-L carnitine prior to MPTP exposure offered complete protection - none of the animals developed parkinsonism. This study affirmed the potency of acetyl-L-carnitine as an antioxidant specifically useful in Parkinson's disease. [22]

Last edited by Scientist on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 am

Post post subject
Thank you for the information. I am going to study it more throughly and give it some careful consideration. I feel like nothing to lose at this point in time. I just don't want to make him worse.
Mary

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 am

In the NIH studies of CoQ10 in PD, the results haven't been slam-dunk in favor of CoQ10. But it's still being studied for its neuroprotective benefit. Apparently it is not supposed to have much, if any, symptomatic benefit.

The biggest drawback with CoQ10 is the cost. It can be several hundred dollars a month to get up to the dose being studied in the NIH trials. The source of the CoQ10 in those studies in Vitaline.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 am

I have my hubby on 1800 mg of COq10 along with 2000 mg fish oil. I really think the COq10 is helping him. I tried to up it to 2400mg, but it just didn't work. When I mentioned that to the neurologist, he suggested we stay at 1800mg.

I also had his doctor write me an rx for COq10 & fish oil and stocked up on it this year (for validation). I also take the above (but only 400 mg) and had my doctor write me rx's for both.

Karen

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:27 am

I don't think you can hurt anyone with CoQ10 and carnitine (acetyl-L-carnitine) because they are both natural supplements that are made by the body - but are in short supply in the elderly and in certain disease states.

But indeed both can be expensive.

Does medicare pay for these if they are a doctor's prescription?

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am

Medicare only pays for prescription medication -- not OTC items available without an RX.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:19 pm

I should have made that clearer. Yes, they are OTC and no insurance company will pay for them. I was referring to the deduction on my income tax as the expenses for treatment and medication have been extremely high this year. He fell into the donut hole in August already.

Karen

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Absolutely, some of the worst poisions are 'natural'... but CoQ10 and carnitine have been tested and don't seem to cause problems even in fairly high doses. Then... too much of anything is bad. You can overdose on fat soluble vitamins.

I have seen up to 1800 mg of CoQ10 suggested, and 1-3 g of carnitine per day.

I don't give my mother anything without checking with her doctors, so I always have that medical opinion there.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:34 pm

I had asked Frank's Neurologist about the CoQ10 because I had read about a study. He said they were still conducting the study but the quantity used was out of the price range for most. For the last 3 years we have been in the donut-hole by June so I did stop the 3 daily CoQ10 that he was taking.

Good Luck trying to figure out what might help.

Gerry

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:43 pm

I wasn't responding to something you said. I was responding to Scientist's question.
Robin

Scientist -
As I recall from speaking with the Vitaline people about a year ago, there is a max dosage of CoQ10. (I think it's either 2400mg/day or 3600mg/day.) I don't remember if it's a safety issue beyond that or an efficacy issue.
Robin

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]