View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Brushing teeth 

Post Brushing teeth
I am having a hard time brushing Tony's teeth. He does not like me to do it but then when I ask him to spit he stands there forever and I keep saying "spit" Finally he does it but I do not think I am getting his teeth very clean. Any suggestions??

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm

I wish I did have ideas for you. An electric toothbrush (with the little round head that vibrates, not a Sonicare type) helped for about a year, but no more. For a while it was partly amusing and partly alarming when Mom would try to figure out what to do with a mouthful of foam. She knew exactly what to do when we tried mouthwash: spit it right back out at us. Now she refuses any type of toothbrushing or mouthwash. She clamps her teeth shut. We can't even use the little sponges.

In fact, we had a thread going on this topic some time back. Several people made various suggestions, but nothing worked for us.

When my brother asked his dentist for recommendations, the dentists shrugged and said, "Most people just give up."

That's basically where we are. Whenever I go over, I give her some sugarless gum hoping it will help a little. I also encourage her caregivers to do the same. She does well with it and seems to enjoy it, but I don't know how much it's helping her teeth and gums, if any.

Garnet

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Use a sponge lightly moistened with mouthwash, rubbing the teeth, gums, and cheeks. Biotene makes a good mouthwash. The SNF Tony is in should be very familiar with these products and this process.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:09 pm

He is not in a SNF he is in an assisted living dimentia unit. I WISH they knew what to do...their answer is not to do it...they say they do, but I know they do not. He won't open his mouth for them. I tried to brush his teeth in the shower and that seemed to work better, I will try the Biotene, I used it myself a couple of years ago when I had chemotherapy. Hospice seems to have more luck with him. Just thought someone would have a magic answer. Thanks.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Would love some answers- I've been bitten more than once trying. (she has a partial) I do get away with using the small electric to "polish" her teeth once in a while- but getting the partial out is almost impossible.
Sharon

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Gracious! I'm having the exact same problem.! have a sonicare, no good, a rotary electric, nope can't use that, regular bush he does very quick.I asked my dental hygenist friend and she said to try to place a small wooden spool, like an unused thread spool, horizontal on the back teeth so when he closes I can still get in there to brush. It was very awkward the first time and we haven't done it since. I'm curious to see what the other posts will be! He'll rinse but sometimes forget to spit and just swallow the stuff or like the others stand there forever!

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:07 am

Am wondering how toxic it is if they forget to spit. I am using a child's toothpaste, Tom's, all natural. What about a mouthwash not being spit out. Just a small amount of course. I know there are warnings on the labels. Seemed to be a little bit better when he is in the shower in the shower chair because if it takes forever for him to spit, at least he will not get it all over. Seems that the mirror in the bathroom upsets him so I am trying not to go in there very often.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:19 am

some of the childrens mouthwashes can be swallowed- we use bubble gum flavored

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:12 am

Who makes the bubble gum flavored mouthwash please??

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Chattem is the company name- I get it at Walgreens

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:42 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]