View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:00 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Hand surgery 

Post Hand surgery
We've come to the point where Johnny's fingers are digging into his hand and the hand surgeon wants to sever the tendons. His ring finger and middle finger are most affected. Should we or even are we able to sever tendons to just those two fingers or must they all be severed? His contraction is really bad when Lewy is loose, but when he's calm, he can at least use his forefinger and thumb to grip things. And then there's the question of anesthesia. The surgeon didn't give me much info on that. Are there better or worse types of anesthesia? I gave him a copy of Lewy info. He said the anesthesiologist would use some anesthesia, but try to do a block, too. With his mental state, he sure can't cooperate and they're afraid he might move while they're giving him the block. I'm concerned and just want to do the right thing. I hate the thought of his not having any control in that hand and I do worry about his mind.
Judy

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Post view another thread
Judy, look under Symptoms and Diagnosis and find the topic, Clenched Hands.

www.community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 2947#12947

DrP

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:02 pm

impressive recall on that past post!
Robin

Judy -
I'd be reluctant to head for surgery before trying some of the pharmacological (including botox) approaches first.
Robin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Just wondering does this hand clenching thing happen to every LBD sufferer, my Mum doesn't do this but I do notice that the use is definetly going out of her hands but she doesn't have them clenched tight.

Annie

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:54 am

No, this doesn't happen to everyone. The only thing that happens to everyone is progressive dementia.
Robin

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 am

I had read those posts before and since we already use Sinemet and Ativan regularly and have been the route of the wash cloth for months, they don't seem to be the answer. He clenches his fist so tightly when Lewy is around that I can't get it between his fingers and if he's alert, he takes it out. Keeping his hand dry is really getting to be a problem. A friend gave me a splint to use (medical, made just for him), but the Dr. couldn't get it on him. The botox thing? How long does that last and how effective is it? And again, if we do the surgery, can we just do the two fingers?
Judy

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:40 am

Post rigid hands
I think we all understand about the rigidity. I hope it would be off and on so that in between the clenching [on a good day, ha!] the nails could be trimmed, filed and emoried [?] keeping them down to the quick so they would render the fingers soft enough to do no harm. Could you get baby/talc powder in his palm when not rigid? Worth a try.

DrP

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Botox
See: http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13368
Robin

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Read the botox article and will see if I can postpone surgery and get to the botox, Robin.
DrP, unfortunately I already cut his nail down to the quick and now we have what looks to be a growth from the corner of the finger. PCP gave us some antibiotics to help the infection and sent me to the hand surgeon, who said he would remove that and that's when he suggested that we do the tendons at the same time. The growth seems to be drying up and maybe I'll just try to wait it out. Will try talc in the meantime. Had not thought about that.
I do thank you all for being here.
Judy

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Post Damaged nails
The growth from trimming the nails tells me why my Home Health people or any one else who cares for Mr B. are not allowed to trim his nails. Only an MD. [or me]. Some time I get aggrevated about that but I can understand why this is the way it is. Keep us 'in the know'.

DrP

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]