View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:36 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Sleep & Seroquel: Best dosing time 

Post Sleep & Seroquel: Best dosing time
Any ideas as to the best dosing time for Sequel to help with sleep? Dad is on 25 mg. plus 12 mg Melatonin. When given at 7PM, he slept till midnight, then woke up every hour after that. He usually sleeps fairly well anyway till midnight, so tried it at midnight and he slept till 2 PM the next day...is it just his body wanting to sleep in the daytime that gives the hangover effect? I would be interested in other's experiences. The Seroquel has eliminated his hallucinations and when he does wake up, he is fairly lucid. He's been on it for one week. Ideas :?:

Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:04 am

What about a higher dose of Seroquel at the same time?

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:15 am

Post Sleep, ah, precious sleep.
I wonder what is keeping him awake the second part of the night. I would give the seroquel and 5mgs melatonin at the reg time and when he wakes, I would give him a second 5mgs melatonin. Who knows? We try to outwit this LBD and in the battle, we sometimes win.

DrP.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm

My hubby is on 25mg at bedtime. If he is in a more agitated state I was told to give him another half tablet for a total of 37.5mg. So far so good. He does get up to go to the bathroom a lot , needs help with that and other things :( but at least he goes right back to sleep. :D (for me its a different story) He sleeps on an average of 12 hours a night totaled and naps off and on during the day...except when the Lewies are raging...then its a whole different scenario.
The LO has been fairly decent for a few weeks now...other than some bathroom issues and weakness...I am waiting with knots in my stomach for the Lewies to rage their ugly heads. The first couple of weeks I was so worn out I appreciated each moment he was "norm"...still do...but as the weeks go on I know what is yet to come. ..and I am not ready for it.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Ain't THAT the truth!

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Its MORE than the truth! I am still sooooo tired from that last episode...its like my body just can't get enought rest/sleep...wore me out to a frazzle. And at this age I can think of a lot of things I would rather be than...frazzled! :lol:

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:57 pm

why is it that the patient will sleep until midnight and then be awake and talking the rest of the night? Some nights my father will sleep right through and this lasts about three nights and then he will be awake the next three when the Lewies kick in. Does the melatonin work, I have never tried that? I have tried Xanax and sleeping pills. The Xanax stopped working and the sleeping pills last four hours. If I give another pill at midnight, the aide cannot wake him up in the morning. It is a never ending battle.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 am

As mentioned in reply to your introductory post, please read Boeve's Continuum paper for ideas on how to address sleep problems and an interruption of the sleep-wake cycle. Many here use melatonin (available OTC) for their LBD loved ones. I use it myself (no neurodegenerative disease that I know of), and find it helpful. You can do a search of past posts containing the word "melatonin" to get some sense of how many here use it. Though it's available OTC, I'd still run it by your father's neurologist. Give the neurologist Boeve's Continuum paper too!
Robin

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Robin: could you please post the link for the 'Continum paper? I've lost the bookmark & am having trouble retrieving it. Thank you. Dee (I want to print for the gero-psych.)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Post Frequently referenced resources
I will go to this page and jump it as an up to date message.

http://www.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

DrP

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 pm

The link to the Boeve Continuum paper is ridiculously long:
http://www.lbda.org/feature/1347&cfid=3 ... bodies.htm

I've asked the LBDA's person in charge of the website to come up with shorter links to these papers. (The previous links were much shorter.)

Bookmark it NOW!!!

Otherwise, you can find it in one of two ways:
* go to lbda.org, and search for "Boeve Continuum"
* go to lbda.org, select "Learn About LBD," select "Additional Resources," select "CMEs," find it in the list (maybe third down)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Post seroquel XR
My husband and I go to the same GP. I had asked him about Prozac (or something like it) to help me with my irritability and impatience. He preferred me not using it, and instead gave me Seroquel XR 50mg for John. I went online to research it, and one of the warnings was not to give it to dementia patients. Yet I see that lots of you use it for your LO. John is also on clonazapam.
(Side note: I am having chest pains, so doc is ordering tests for me, to rule out heart problems. I think it is stress.)
Did any of your docs warn you about this med?
Thanks, Anne

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 am

One of my concerns with medicating him is the danger of his becoming incontinent. He gets up 6 or 8 times in the night to go to the bathroom. We have an appt. with his urologist next week to talk about his dosage of Flomax.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 am

Post My experience with Flomax
Anne, before I say more may I acknowledge what has been repeated on this forum, time and time again, "Every situation and LBD person is different", having said that:

About two years ago my LO, Mr B. started taking Flomax 0.4 MG and Avodart 0.5 MG. He is still able to go to the bathroom as needed. His one last stand at independence. I, too, dread the time when/if he becomes incontinent. I know I will necessarily release my care of him. I could not physically do the necessary maintenance required.

His thoughts are tangled, his vision is black except for the unseen [by us] visitors, his muscles have atrophied, but he can still know when he needs to use the bathroom and take the three steps inside to the potty. With the door closed he [usually], tends to business. [So what if he misses the mark, I can spray and wipe and mop and pack fresh old towels around the throne]. I wait to guide him back to his bed where he sits, making the sign of the cross and saying his prayers before crawling under the covers.

I know I get long winded, but the Flomax and Avodart have been a blessing to us with no apparent damages. Good luck as you make this journey.

DrP.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next