View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:23 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Interaction??? 

Post Interaction???
What a frightening day. Had appointment with PCP today. They gave him a tetanous shot just as an update. Five minutes later his face turned red, could not breathe, blood pressure and pulse rate shot way up. EKG shows some little lines that do not belong there. Ordering a stress test and some others. Gave us nitro tabs in case it happens again and told to give him one every 5 minutes...after 3 tabs if that doesn't work to call 911. Waited till his symptoms calmed down before letting us leave the office. Anyone heard of this before? Is it the shot? Interaction between meds? Mild heart attack? One of the 3 but which one???

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 am

Post Your Day!
Oh, how frightening that must have been... still is, I'm sure. I'm so sorry.

DrP

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 am

It really was frightening! Now I am concerned about finding out which of the three it was so we can prevent it. LO said "oh please, don't let me die here in a VA office!" Dr. told him..."you are lucky you were here." :) He was very lucky he was there with all of that professional help. Will keep you posted. Thank you for the concern.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:40 am

If it was a heart attack wouldn't it have showed up on EKG? I am thinking more the shot gave him a reaction but who knows I hope all is well today!

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:55 am
Profile WWW

What did the PCP say it was -- vaccination? interaction between meds? mild heart attack?

Presumably not a mild heart attack or else they would've sent him to the hospital for verification and evaluation.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:19 am

Did 3 EKGs in the office. Each one shows some lines that do not belong there and need investigating. Ordered blood tests, stress test and an echocardiogram. She is not sure which of the 3 it was but will continue testing to find out. She suspects the tetanus shot as it was within minutes of that shot but said usually a tetanus shot doesn't produce symptoms like that...he has never had a reaction like that before. We too thought if it was a heart attack they would have admitted him. After his coloring came back and blood pressure was down to an acceptable level they put him in our car with nitro and instructed us to use it if it started again and call 911. They set several appointments starting Monday at 8 a.m.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Dianne: good grief! What more can happen! My heart goes out to you. It sounds like a bad reaction to the tetanus something like a bad allergic reaction almost anaphalaxis......did the doctor mention this? Did they give him an antihistamine? Why the nitro? Did he have chest pain? This sounds really strange. Good luck to you & I'll include you in my evening prayers. I think you are really brave! Dee

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 pm

What a scary day for you both!

Hope they figure it out real soon! Keep us posted.

Extra prayers for you & hubby tonight.

Karen

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:12 pm

My thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. Yes, it was very frightening and I am looking forward to finding out the cause.
Dee, I too thought maybe it was anaphalaxis...had some of the symptoms but I think with that your blood pressure goes down, doesn't it, and his skyrocketed. Will do some research on that unless someone here knows? So far this weekend he seems pretty good other than his norm symptoms...loosing train of thought, looking for the right words, tired, a bit dilusional at times etc. The office did call several times today to see how he was doing and to reconfirm our appointments for Monday.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:12 am

I hope you start to get some answers this coming week with what's going on and then deal with it, it's not like you don't have enough to deal with , Huh?

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

lol, thats for sure! Like another bull in the china shop! lol Looking forward to answers. So far he has been okay this weekend...a bit "off" but thats norm for him. :) As I checked through my LOs past records I see where his former pcp ordered a stress test and echocardiogram last year. This was during a routine physical when listening to his heart she heard something she wanted to check. At that time they did not find anything..and tests were okay....or so we were told. Going to contact her tomorrow for copies of those records/tests to pick up and take with us to the appointments.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]