View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:43 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Need suggestions for dealing with short caregiver absence 

Post Need suggestions for dealing with short caregiver absence
I need some real suggestions here. The problem is first that being out in public, etc can easily overload me mentally so 90% of the time I am just home with my wife, about all the constant input I can handle...but I have also found that total lack of input can be just as bad after a few days. My wife has a new grandson in Tx she wishes to visit a few times a year for about 6 days. We don't know anyone else in town so when she is gone, I really am alone. I have no issues with loneliness; its just that with the lack of predicable things, people going on around me, I seem to sorta lose sync with life, slowly losing what little sense of time I had left, the fog seems to set in thicker than ever and stay longer than ever. A couple more days and my physical coordination goes so bad that last time I basically forced myself to sit in a chair for three days until she came home because I was leaving burners and faucets going all night, fun stuff like that. She came back and I was a wreck but after just a few days of normalcy, I was back to fighting shape.

Every patient will tell you the same thing: we would rather set our own asses on fire than tell our SO/CG that something else is wrong and she now has even less freedom than before. So I am trying to figure out some way of getting me some input that doesn't just involve a telephone (expressive aphasia makes that worthless) on a daily or every other day basis while she is gone. There just doesn't seem to be anything. She even tried to get Meals on Wheels to come but they said no, even if we paid. So whats left? How do other people deal with this? I get the feeling if I had someone come by for even 15 minutes a day or every other day, they don't even have to do anything other than talk I guess. Its the regularity of it that would keep me anchored until she got back. Just cant figure out how to make it happen...

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Post Re: Need suggestions for dealing with short caregiver absenc
The Feds give every community money for senior services, and the communities fashion their own support systems. Here in Phoenix, it's the Area Agency on Aging. Google, or check the website of your city or county to find the agency in your town. They will be the referral center for services that are available.

We have a wonderful non-profit that coordinates with meals-on-wheels to ensure that each person gets a visit along with their daily meal. The visit is a sort of well-person check. In some towns, these programs are run by churches too.

Finally, I've found that the internet is not especially good for finding this kind of service. Lots of networking between care agencies in town, but nobody takes the time to set up decent (or any) websites.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Post Re: Need suggestions for dealing with short caregiver absenc
jamieking wrote:
The Feds give every community money for senior services, and the communities fashion their own support systems. Here in Phoenix, it's the Area Agency on Aging. Google, or check the website of your city or county to find the agency in your town. They will be the referral center for services that are available.

We have a wonderful non-profit that coordinates with meals-on-wheels to ensure that each person gets a visit along with their daily meal. The visit is a sort of well-person check. In some towns, these programs are run by churches too.

Finally, I've found that the internet is not especially good for finding this kind of service. Lots of networking between care agencies in town, but nobody takes the time to set up decent (or any) websites.

We tried Meals on Wheels and they refused claiming I was too young (56). After checking the website their response smells like guano but its not like I can force them. The other weird aspect really is that I am not looking for long-term anything just a weeks worth of visits max. Oh well time to think outside the box. I almost suggested what Gregory House MD would have done but wanted to keep the marriage intact :)

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]