View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 One way tech improves my LBD daily life... 

Post One way tech improves my LBD daily life...
This may just apply to me but one of the results of memory lapses, time loss etc is a distinct sense of being disconnected or out of sync with the world around you, even at home. When you don't know whats going on on any given day or worse, have to ask the same question again and again (thus irritating even the mellowest of caregivers). Trust me, we HATE having to ask, it makes us feel dumbed and dumbed each time we are forced to.

Slight digression but this may explain something. A character on The Walking Dead (My favorite show because by definition, no matter how bad my LBD, I am still smarter than 99% of the zombies. We have to find our ego-strokes where we can) is asked what time it was, he replies that since he gave his watch away, its always "right now" to him. That is my every day in a nutshell. With the loss of perception of time, its always "right now" to me, with no sense of next week or even tomorrow. I don't know about others but this leaves me with a feeling of being trapped or stuck in the now, meaning I can't look to tomorrow with hope or anticipation of perhaps something nice.

So what we did, first out of geek-dom, secondly out of laziness at the time (pre-LBD) and now out of necessity is this. We have Android smartphones which we each always have with us. We have set up a shared Google Calendar, into which my wife inputs all of the major events in our lives, ranging from doctor appointments to scheduled date nights or even shopping trips. The calendars are always in sync so I can always know at a glance whats coming up. Since the calendars stay in sync, it helps me stay in sync to. I now look at it out of habit several times per day because with it, I can easily see and be reminded of things to look forward to in the coming days...without it, I am always stuck in the "right now". Words cannot express how much I rely on that calendar for keeping my mind in sync with the life around me. I feel bad for my grandmothers or even my parents generation where the demented had so many fewer options....indeed, I can see where it could have actually made their dementia worse....or to put it another way, I see fortune in having LBD in this day and age. The options for us are vastly greater than those of our ancestors' generations...

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am

Post Re: One way tech improves my LBD daily life...
Jeff,
I agree. My family and I use Cozi, a shared calendar app. I would be lost without it.
Randy

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]