View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Thread needs life 

Post Thread needs life
...so legal question for those that know: Is it true its almost impossible to prosecute someone who has previously b een diagnosed with dementia? I can't even see someone with dementia (alzheimers, anything getting past the miranda requirements...yes I watch too much TV but on Law and Order once...... 8)

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Post Re: Thread needs life
Don't know , but the police interview would be hilarious

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Jilytibrme wrote:
Don't know , but the police interview would be hilarious

For some fun, Google for "alzheimers", "miranda" and "conviction". Eye-opener indeed...

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:39 pm

I have sat in on panel discussions on this topic. Unfortunately there is no clear cut response. If someone has received a formal diagnosis and is receiving treatment, they may fall under the mental health disorders category for certain crimes (breaking/entering, minor assault, theft, etc). Sadly there are many individuals who are currently incarcerated and diagnosed. There are legal aid groups who are working to have them released to appropriate care homes but there are concerns about the safety of other residents if their crimes are aggressive in nature.

LBDA is working with law enforcement agencies to teach officers how to recognize and respond to individuals who have LBD. This is important not only because of criminal arrest issues but also safety of the individual should they be in an actively psychotic state (delirious, hallucinating, delusional, etc) and need to be taken to a medical facility. Because of the medication sensitivities of LBD, education is vital.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 am

Family Services wrote:
I have sat in on panel discussions on this topic. Unfortunately there is no clear cut response. If someone has received a formal diagnosis and is receiving treatment, they may fall under the mental health disorders category for certain crimes (breaking/entering, minor assault, theft, etc). Sadly there are many individuals who are currently incarcerated and diagnosed. There are legal aid groups who are working to have them released to appropriate care homes but there are concerns about the safety of other residents if their crimes are aggressive in nature.

LBDA is working with law enforcement agencies to teach officers how to recognize and respond to individuals who have LBD. This is important not only because of criminal arrest issues but also safety of the individual should they be in an actively psychotic state (delirious, hallucinating, delusional, etc) and need to be taken to a medical facility. Because of the medication sensitivities of LBD, education is vital.

Don't worry, I am not trying to plot the perfect crime or anything...I just have always turned situations around in my head to view them from different angles and the one that got me started on this line of thought was trying to figure out how to make a Miranda warning stick with an aphasia patient. Lie detectors would be useless from a technical angle and the police should be able to put zero legal stock in anything we "admit" to. Just a thought experiment, nothing to worry about.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 am

I watched the show about the Neuremberg trial of Rudolf Hess and how dementia impacted the trial. Very interesting

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:57 pm

jamieking wrote:
I watched the show about the Neuremberg trial of Rudolf Hess and how dementia impacted the trial. Very interesting

Hey Jamie;

(BTW still checking on AZ availability of proper meds)

Anyhow I will just throw this out there because we are just looking at my goofy hypotheticals...now I gotta warn you care-givers...we LBD patients do seem to have our own little conversational shortcuts as well as a particularly odd sense of humor..I find humor in the absurd and its all around us. For example in the run-up to the election, all the talking heads were going on about the odds of this party/candidate winning or that one...they were making a big deal about it as it came down to November and it got me thinking it would be funny to pull their collective shorts up over their predictive heads. How? Simple: Get all Alzheimers, LBD and Parkinsons patients together in like a PAC, only since we are all demented, everyone would do/vote how they wanted, leading to a pretty sizable element of randomness in their election prognostications. Currently there are supposed to be (according to the association) 5 million people with Alzheimers alone. No idea how it would come out but the joke would be on the long-time political think-they-know-it-alls. IOW going into election night, *no one* would have the slightest clue how any of it would turn out. Hell, Yosemite Sam might win.

Just some goofy thinking but it is funny as hell to my mind.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]