View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 RE: I'm in but how 

Post RE: I'm in but how
Hey Jeff,

I've looked into the possibility a little and the best I can tell you have to find somewhere such as the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc... doing Lewy Body research and hook up with them I was not able to find a centralized donation facilitator so to speak. It seams they like to get you as early as possible so they can study the progression of your disease, changes in symptoms, etc... Then you have to arrange for your own harvest by a qualified harvester for lack of a better word and pay for it yourself. The sites I read said it was easiest if you were near a teaching university because they were more likely to have someone qualified to harvest. And currently the average cost is around $1500. It seems that some studies have grants built in to help defer the cost of the harvest.

That's what I found with a quick search, I believe most is accurate but can't be 100% sure. I would really like to donate but it doesn't seem to be very easy.

Randy

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Post Re: RE: I'm in but how
Wow, that sounds insane (and trust someone with dementia; we know crazy like we owe it money)...we have to PAY to help with the research? WTF is that? I need to look into this.... :shock:

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Post Re: RE: I'm in but how
The University of Miami Brain Endowment Bank pays for everything. There is absolutely no charge to the donor or the family. You do have to provide as much medical information as is possible. They give you a card with who to call at death. They will ask you to pack the head with ice as quickly as possible and they will make all the arrangements from there on in.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]