View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:34 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 I need a software engineer 

Post I need a software engineer
Those who know me may question the sanity of that statement but those who know me no longer question my sanity, and no not because they are buried in the back yard. Just kidding....or am I? No seriously....

OK I used to be a software engineer for many years and while the LBD has wiped key parts of many of my skills, a lifetime of being that has me wired to think that way. As such when I go through a day and experience an LBD-related symptom, unbidden my brain goes into overdrive looking for a software solution to it. The frustrating thing is, since getting the LBD I have found at least four main areas where I think custom software would really help improve life, sometimes in little ways and some in big ones, but I no longer have the ability to finish such a task myself. Very frustrating knowing a potential solution to any of lifes miseries is right in front of you and not being able to grab it.

Here is a very simple example of which I speak, and why I need to find a software engineer willing to work gratis for charity because like many, fixed income doesn't have room for software contracts, even small ones. Its a well-paying gig for a reason: coders are expensive, good ones are anyway. But to the example, one key problem I have over and over is my aphasia or some part of it where I can't really translate conceptual stuff in my head to words and phrases (in any medium). One way this REALLY kills me is not being able to use search engines like Google anymore, not easily and certainly not well. Just now I was searching for images related to people having difficulty with jar lids but no matter how I rephrased it I wound up light-years from my conceptual target, turning up dead babies in jars to a whole page of eye lid problems to a whole page of truck beds. Sometimes you just wanna scream. You know what you want, you know how to go about getting it (use search engine to sift the wheat from the chaff and then find what you need from whats left, very simple) but cannot push the right conceptual buttons to make it happen. I think someones husband has similar issues and I cannot believe I am the only one.

So my brain gets going on it and realizes help is really quite simple. What would be really handy would be to have an app on your laptop or phone or tablet that that you could put your search phrase into knowing it was probably wrong. The app would then use your search phrase word-by-word and a thesaurus to find derivations on how to say the same thing. Then it could pre-search the (say) Google search metadata ( this is data that provides, among other things the phrases similar to yours that others are searching for, ranked by popularity) to see if any of the derivations of your words have been searched for frequently by others and for those that do, do a summary search on Google, say the top five hits. This then can be presented to the LBD patient to see which sets of results come the closest to what they were trying to find, which will then reveal the search term used. The theory is it will help me find things I need (or any other search-relating task) by letting me go from my known-screwed up search criteria to criteria that is probably correct in the blink of an eye.

This task could be done in almost any scripting language with web components and probably be done in a day. I could do it in a day in Python, lets put it that way.

Sat May 06, 2017 12:59 pm

Post Re: I need a software engineer
Hi Jeff,

Hope your doing ok. I've been in my non communicative mode for a bit.

Sorry dude, def not a code writer by any stretch, but I wanted to thank you for your zeal......and your ability to inject humor into your posts.

Sat May 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Jilytibrme wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Hope your doing ok. I've been in my non communicative mode for a bit.

Sorry dude, def not a code writer by any stretch, but I wanted to thank you for your zeal......and your ability to inject humor into your posts.

Dude, I think my whole reality is pretty absurd ATM and figured I can cry or I can laugh, ain't much else that fits, and I hate crying. So I try to find the funny in the absurd, just to keep myself from becoming demented.

Oh wait....

Sun May 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Copy, I hear ya. Keep on, keeping on.

Mon May 08, 2017 2:08 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]