View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Becoming mentally "winded" 

Post Becoming mentally "winded"
Patient perspective: When things were starting to get really bad (where at that point, "bad" = no longer able to hide symptoms) I noticed much of the time I tried to think or focus on something I would become mentally "winded" and my physical body would respond by taking a deep breath. It still does this not that it matters. But what would happen is this involuntary deep breath was often mistaken for a disgusted sigh or something, setting up conflict. For example, my wife could tell me about something, I am struggling mentally to absorb it and when she is done I find myself scrambling for my mental "breath" and the deep breath physically happens and she thinks I am disgusted or something with her story. When the whole time, I was barely keeping up with it. Totally sucks but I am finding alot of things like this, where really weird stuff is going on between your ears and you physically respond however you do, people think its something else entirely (my pain doc keeps misinterpreting my screwed up gait for pain most times). And of course, when you are in that space, the aphasia makes it tough to impossible to explain and you give up.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Post Re: Becoming mentally "winded"
It's so interesting to hear your prospective, because I can "see" that happening in my husband's head. I try to focus on what he's going through and not react to him. After all, he can't control his responses, but I can control mine. But it's hard.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Post Re: Becoming mentally "winded"
Jeff, thank you so much for sharing your feelings about becoming mentally "winded". My husband also is dealing with LBD and sometimes I get frustrated when I'm telling him a story and he just gives me a blank look. Now I understand that he's probably just trying to process what I'm telling him. I also notice more and more often that if he's trying to tell me something or a story the aphasia kicks in and it's hard for him to finish. I try to fill in when I think I know what he's trying to tell me. It's a learning process every day and I start my day praying for patience.
If you have any suggestions for me as a caregiver I would so much love to hear from you.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]