View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 skin cancer 

Post skin cancer
My mother is 95 and has had lbd for the past 5 years. I am her caregiver at home and have a private caregiver who comes usually 3 times a week and is an angel on earth. My mother has been bedridden for the past 3 years and sleeps most of the day and night now. She hardly communicates anymore. She still eats, but usually 1 light meal a day, generally breakfast - could be at 1:00 pm, could be at 9:00 pm. Some days she has nothing since she sleeps right through. Recently, through photos sent to a dermatologist by her visiting physician, she has been diagnosed with skin cancer/squamous cell, after developing a keratoacanthomas on her forehead. I hesitate to do anything about this. Of course this would require her being moved to a facility where it would be biopsied and then treated which, I feel, would be too traumatic for her at this time. If left untreated, it could dissolve on its own or become more serious over time. I want to do the right thing, but what is the right thing? My main concern is to keep her as comfortable as possible and pain free, which I've managed to do so far. I've been on this Forum before and have found it to be so helpful and am hoping someone perhaps has been through this with their loved one. Thank you.
Patricia

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:30 am

Post Re: skin cancer
If your mother is 93, has been bedridden for 3 years and has had LBD for 5 years, what would be the point in treating skin cancer or any other illness or condition? Does she have an AD? If so, what did she say in that or what did she say to you or other close relatives and friends previously? We cannot live forever, and keeping someone "alive" who sounds like she has pretty minimal quality of life, I can't imagine why family members would consider treating additional health issues.
You might want to read discussions on here on this topic by researching "slow medicine". There have been a number of discussions about this important topic over the years on here. Best, Lynn

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 am

Post Re: skin cancer
PS - you may want to post this under "Symptoms" rather than the topic area used by administrators to orient new users to the forum. You don't have to, but you'll probably get more responses from the closest topic area. Hang in there, it's a hard journey you are on with your mom, Lynn

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:41 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]