View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 cap gras 

Post cap gras
Does anyone out there have a LO who suffers from this? I am not me most of the time but as member of a "clan" of people. We all look alike, have gray hair and only one breast. Sometimes I am referred to as a guy because I mow the lawn and do many jobs that need to be done. We just celebrated our 57 anniversary and he did not know me. A few nights before he said he needed to go to his home; I said I would help him find the bedroom. We got ready for bed and when I came in, he was sitting on the edge of the bed. I asked if he was going to get in and he said, I'm waiting for my wife because she said she was going to sleep with me tonight. I tried to explain to no avail and we both were in bed. We were talking and he had tears in his eyes which of course made me cry. How do you handle this kind of event? I dislike going to concerts or church as there are so many questions as to how many are going, who is going to be left out because we only have two tickets. I am not me at church until we are in the choir room, he turns around a looks at me and says, there you are. Where have you been? Does anyone else experiences like this?

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 am

Post Re: cap gras
Hi Jan - If you post your question in the "symptoms" or "behaviors" sections, you are likely to get more responses to your questions. This "welcome" section is mainly used by the LBDA administrators mostly.

Also, if you do a search on "capgras" on the forum you will find much discussion, probably in the aforementioned sections. There hasn't been a lot lately, but there is a lot of info. about this from past discussions which you may find helpful.

I didn't have much experience with this with my dad. Only a few times did he get people mixed up, and it wasn't as daunting as living with a spouse day in and day out who thinks you are not who you are. It must be very painful and frustrating to deal with this symptom. Pat, aka "Mockturtle" posted a lot about this, as her late husband suffered from this and thought she was an imposter for quite a long time. This is one of those symptoms that I think must be particularly difficult to deal with. Many of the delusions and hallucinations you can deal with by just going along with what their reality is. But, a close family member like a spouse, not being recognized, trusted, etc. is a real challenge. I hope you find some useful tips from others who have BTDT. Lynn

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes, my husband had Capgras delusions quite often, where he would think me an impostor or even think our house was not our real house. It led to some violent incidents and also some rather humorous incidents. He seemed to have it worse earlier in the disease than later.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 pm

My husband has Capgras too. He thinks we have identical houses and, at times, I'm an identical wife.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:17 am

My husband started having hallucinations at night in January 2011 and Cap Gras. We were on our way to Arizona for a few weeks. When we walked into our rental house, he asked where I was. We made many calls to our daughter or sons that year and they kept telling him that the person with him was his wife and their mother. When walking on our last day in Arizona, he told me that I may not be welcome in St. Louis when we stopped, as his wife was going to be there. On our third morning of the trip home, I told him in the motel that we needed to get going. He said he was only going to St. Louis but I had a longer way to go. Needless to say, we haven't gone back to Arizona! We have gone through times when he thought the clan lived just south of town and he would have me drive around looking for where his Janet lived. There have been times when he ordered me out of the house and wanted me to call the police for him. One Sunday afternoon he walked over to the neighbors to have them call the police for him. Luckily they were not home! I called our son and his wife and they came over and talked to him, assuring him that I was his wife. At times he would ask if I had seen his mother. His mother has been gone for 24 years. We have gone into a friends house for a get together and he told our friend that Janet wasn't able to come. Ten minutes later I walked into a room to check on him and he said, There you are! One morning a couple of months ago, I heard him waking up and went in to check on him. He looked at me and got the biggest smile on his face and in his eyes. I was ME! But not very long. I use a baby monitor to hear him in the morning as falling is always a possibility. I usually wake up at 6:30 and I get up to have my time - to read my daily devotions and say my prayers, do floor exercises, have a cup of coffee and read the paper, etc. I usually have at least 2 hours of me time without which I don't think I would have the patience and strength needed for the day. I realize this is a long post and these are but a few of my experiences on this trip through Lewy Body and Cap Gras. Thank you for listening and caring. Janpot

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:08 am

It's so good that you have found a way to have a couple of hours for YOU, Janpot. It is so necessary to take care of yourself. I don't know how I'd be able to deal with Capgras if my husband ever developed this. It must be incredibly exhausting physically and mentally to deal with this very tough situation. Lynn

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 am

Lynn, it is only with the help of God. He slept 12 hours last night and I only got up ONCE for myself! It is worth having to wash most of the bedding which I just started while he is in the shower. janpot from Illinois

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:09 am

Welcome to the forum Janet! This is one symptom my Mother never had. I can't imagine how frustrating this must be some times! Hang in there.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:32 am

janpot wrote:
Lynn, it is only with the help of God. He slept 12 hours last night and I only got up ONCE for myself! It is worth having to wash most of the bedding which I just started while he is in the shower. janpot from Illinois

Praise God for little blessings! How well I remember savoring the few hours of sleep I got!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]