View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hi Newbie with questions 

Post Hi Newbie with questions
HI
hope someone can give me some insight regarding my mum.She was diagnosed with Alzeihmers with Lewy bodies (is this the same as LBD??) roughly 3 years ago.I suspect strongly that it was showing signs at least a year before that.

Anyways she is now in a nursing home and recently is having great difficulty swallowing liquids.She is however still able to take solids (pureed) quite well.we are waiting for the Dr to return from holiday so that he can carry out further tests.

My question is -is it normal regarding the liquids as i thought it would be the other way round (trouble with solids not liquids) and what would be the test that the Dr would do.

Many thanks

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I forget the right term but there is a Lewy body disease called something like "Alzheimer's variant of Lewy Body Dementia." Yes, it is an LBD.

The issue with swallowing in those with PD and Atypical Parkinsonism disorders, like LBD, begins with liquids as those are the hardest substances to get down the esophagus safely. Liquids can easily get to the windpipe. It's harder for solids to get to the windpipe, but not impossible.

The main test you should request is a modified barium swallow study to see what thickeness of liquids is safe for your mother to drink. Liquids can be thickened to prevent aspiration pneumonia. Unfortunately lots of aspiration can be silent -- no one knows about it....the person doesn't cough or choke. You can actually SEE this on the MBSS.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm
Post Re: Hi Newbie with questions
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I am glad you found us and can ask your questions, As to the Liquids being harder than solids to swallow I believe that is very common and I would think because the Liquids are thinner to swallow. As to the swallow tests mentioned in the other posts it really is important to have done, there also is a product called Thick-it to thicken the liquids to aid in swallowing.
I also believe that up to 40% of being DX'ed with AD has Lewy Bodies also.
Good Luck!

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:43 pm

That makes sense about the barium study.When I speak to my brother who is the main point of contact for the home he has a tendancy to ramble on (LOL) so I don't always get the info I need.

I did think yesterday that thickened liquids would be more suitable for mum as she can still eat pureed foods.

Will pass the info onto my brother!

Many thanks

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]