View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Burning feet, poor balance 

Post Burning feet, poor balance
All,

My mother has complained that her feet were "burning". Anyone heard anything like that from a LO?

Also she has had poor balance most of her life. I have no idea what early symptomology is really connected to the LBD and what is not, and I'm trying to retrace all the 'whens'.

She has a sister two years younger with no symptoms and a brother 8 years younger. Too soon to tell about him perhaps.

Later stuff is more clear - I have learned that her lean is associated with LBD, and all of the sleeping. And of course, the incontinence and her inability to pick up her feet. I also know she has poor depth perception, which explains a lot.

When she was still at home last year she complained about dizzy spells now and then. I thought it was a cry for attention because she would issue commands from her chair for at least an hour to have beverages/blankets/hot washcloth/pillows just so...

Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:24 am

my husband has complained that his feet burned for years. the doctors said it is neurapathy and he takes lyrica for it. he is borderline diabetic and i have noticed that when he eats alot of sugar he complains of them burning and hurting more. he also leans to the side and is dizzy alot and like your mother, tells me to do everything and anything he needs done. it's like he thinks he can't do anything. however on the RARE occasion that i get out and have someone sit with him, they say he goes to the bathroom on his own (which is something he never does with me) and doesn't ask them to do anything for him. i don't understand this disease! i only know that i have been his sole caregiver for 3 years now and i am really burnt out and can hardly stand myself or anyone else. it's really hard!

Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:59 am

I agree with Vicki that burning feet sounds like neuropathy.

A neurologist may be able to take a stab at what sort of dizziness is due to LBD and what is due to something else. I don't think anyone can answer this question with any certainty. Maybe there's more certainty after an autopsy but I don't know about that.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:39 am

Mom has the wide gait, doesn't swing her arms and won't pick up her feet. She always had poor balance, but now it is extremely difficult for her to pick up her feet, even if you touch the foot and ask her to move it. Turning for her is now impossible. You have to sort of grasp her under the arms and move her like a rag doll... it's fortunate that she is slim and petite.

She has declined from walking with a cane or walker unassisted to requiring full assistance with transport from bed to toilet to transport chair in less than 6 months. On a good day she can walk a bit with a walker, but she must be attended.

My mother definitely perks up with company, so perhaps your husband does the same, Vicki. My mother will rally herself for a social occasion, then sleep for hours afterward. She will eat poorly and really scare me, then feast well on a holiday meal with guests.

She has maintained her vocabulary and grammar.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Post Scientist, did your Mom like dancing?
I have no idea whether this would work with your Mom but it does with mine. I ask her to put her hands on my shoulders then I tell her to turn her feet as if she were dancing. First of all, the hands on the shoulders gets her arms out of the way and secondly she can still relate to music and dance movement while many other things are gone.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:03 am

Actually I do that dancing trick sometimes... I think that sometimes it gives her vertigo and she tells me she doesn't want to dance. If that's the case I just gently lift her and position her. She hates to be transferred no matter how it is accomplished. When it is over she'll say something like "I wouldn'd do that to my worst enemy". She doesn't seem to realize that there is no other way to get from point A to B.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 am

My Bob is in the same condition, with the feet that won't move. To use the walker I have to kick start one foot to get him going, and he needs help with all transfers. We dance our way into a corner in the bathroom to get dressed, and we laugh about which dance it is today--a jitter bug, waltz, monster mash or Bristol stomp.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:04 am

I find it is easiest to dress her when she is on the toilet. I just dance her on to the toilet, and all changes of clothes happen on the toilet for this reason. Shirts slide around easier because the toilet tank is smooth and she sits more forward on the toilet, and the pants are down anyway. If I ask her to sit on the toilet before bed and after bathing it also increases the chances that she'll use the toilet instead of the diaper.

I noticed the assisted living caregivers are on to this trick.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:47 am

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:09 pm

One thing I found helpful with dressing was while sitting on the toilet I, 1/2 dressed him and right directly in front of the toilet I had a grab bar installed and when I needed to finish I would stand him and he could use the grab bar while I finished with his clothing, I also had a grab bar installed in our bedroon on a very small wall between Bedroom door and closet, it was a perfect spot for one. Both of these grab bars were life savers many a day!

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am
Profile WWW

Sure wish I could say grab bars would work for us. Johnny won't hold on to anything when I want him to and won't let go when I want him to let loose!! I just have to stand him against a doorway or dresser or something to change him (diaper), because it's impossible for me to change it in bed. He won't turn, just resists whichever way I want him to go. Such fun. :roll: But so far we're managing, thank you, God.

Judy

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 pm

I also noticed that my mother won't let go of things. I place my forearm under both of hers and gently push up against her grip and she comes away with my forearm as the 'grab bar'.

Try the toilet changing trick. It's the easiest thing I have found.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Sure wish the toilet trick would work for us, but...Johnny won't bend his knees so he hits the back of the toilet and then sometimes slides down upright, but most of the time he's not on the toilet straight. And then he won't let me reach around him to put his shirt on, etc. It's just harder to do that than sit him on the side of the bed to dress him. It's just the diaper thing that I can't do with his sitting down. Wonder why? Ha! And since he's not potty trained, the toilet is useless.
Thanks for trying to help. Love this group.
Judy

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Do you use those diapers with the tab sides? Maybe that would be easier. I have this image of you trying to stand up a man who has poor balance against the wall and lift feet he can't pick up through the leg holes of a pair of diapers.Wow.

My mother doesn't sit up unless she's propped against something at her back. Sitting on the side of the bed would never work... if I let go of her she'd be on her side or on her back. I can remember we were both so relieved that she didn't have Alzhimer's. Wow. My grandmother had Alzhimer's and it was so much easier than this. We had a pleasant ambulatory lady who could sit up and eat and who was easy to dress... who had NO idea who we were - but was happy to meet us each time we saw her as if for the first time.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Yes, we have the tabs type diapers, otherwise I'd never make it. Can you see me changing poop with pull ups? :lol:

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:22 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next