Here are some questions to ask the research team when you are thinking about a trial or study.
- What is the purpose?
- What tests and treatments will be given?
- What are the risks? What side effects might occur?
- How long will the study last? How much time will it take at each visit?
- Where and when will the testing occur? How frequent are the visits?
- Can I continue treatments for Lewy body dementia and other conditions as prescribed by my regular doctor?
- How will you keep my doctor informed about my participation in the trial?
- Does the study compare standard and experimental treatments?
- How will the trial affect my everyday activities?
- If I withdraw, will this affect my normal care?
- Will I learn the results of my tests? Of the study overall?
- What are the chances that I will receive a placebo?
- What steps ensure my privacy?
- Will my expenses be reimbursed?
- Will I be paid?
General Information About Research Participation
NIH Clinical Research Trials and You: www.nih.gov/health/clinicaltrials
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
Participating in Clinical Trials: http://patientnetwork.fda.gov/find-out-about-clinical-trials
The FDA regulates all U.S. clinical trials of drugs and devices and offers information and resources for clinical trial participants and professionals.