Each year, more Americans are finding themselves in a similar situation -- and challenging preconceived ideas about men and caregiving. This article explores the different ways men handle caregiving from women and includes the following seven tips for male caregivers.
Click here to read the full article.
Tips for Male Caregivers
1. If someone asks to help, have a list in the back of your mind and tell that person what to do.
2. Have something to look forward to -- whether it’s a big trip or just a rental movie to watch at home. Remind yourself that you will get through this.
3. Acknowledge your emotions. You’re human, not a robot.
4. Set up a group e-mail to keep family and friends in the loop.
5. If you’re a spousal caregiver, don’t put off shared pleasures. If you and your wife always dreamed of going to the Caribbean and the trip is still feasible, do it now.
6. Remember that most of the little issues don’t count. Discuss them and find what works for both you and your patient.
7. Learn as much as you can about your patient’s disease, even though it might be scary.