View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Talking about dying 

Post Talking about dying
My husband who will be 77 in May is talking about dying. In the same conversation he asks how long until his birthday. He tries to hurry the birthday time up. His parents both passed in their 60's from heart disease and cancer. I find he is sleeping more and more. If he is not involved with something, he is sleeping. He goes to day program from 10 until 3 two days a week, when he comes home he falls asleep until 6 or 6:30. He seems exhausted after day program. Has anyone else had this talking of dying from their LO? I think he is just waiting for his birthday to come and then he intends to stop fighting his ugly opponent. It is so hard to figure out what is going on with him.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Post Re: Talking about dying
Hi Anne, It's so hard! My Mom never did really talk about dying but she did sleep a lot at times and then back up again. This happened over seven years. My Aunt, who does not have LBD but is 93 talks about dying though. I think sometimes our LO s are trying to prepare us for what they know is coming -- sometime... Hang in there!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. I think my LO is trying to prepare me also. I know he is worrying about me and asks me if I will be alright if something happens to him. I can see that he is getting tired and finding it harder as each week goes by to put on 'Showtime' in front of other people. I try to make his favorite food but even then he eats only a part of it. I give him Boost to supplement his diet. It is so hard to watch this happening and not be able to do anything about it. Anne

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:21 pm

People approach dying very differently from one person to the next. Some talk about it a lot, some refuse to talk about it at all, etc. My dad never talked about dying at all, even when it was quite evident that he was in his final days. My 89 year old aunt has been talking about dying for the past 10 years or more! I think the best thing is to reassure them that we will be fine after they are gone - that reassurance is often what they are looking for so they can move on. Lynn

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 pm

AnneN, I am very sorry for what you are going through, I know it is heartbreaking. My husband doesn't talk about it but I can see it in his eyes. It worries me thinking that he needs to talk about it and won't because maybe he thinks I can't take it.

Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 pm

I think it's a very hard conversation to have. My 93 year old Aunt has been bringing it up for probably 20 years, by asking who wants what and putting labels on the bottom of everything she owns with the name of who's going to get it. Even now that she's already done a big distribution, she talks about dividing up what's left. It does open the discussion...

Fri May 30, 2014 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]