View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Fecal incontinence 

Post Re: Fecal incontinence
I posted this on the Caregiver Spouse forum this morning regarding pads to protect the bed:
I bought some really nice ones at Walmart. They are quilted cotton on one side
and waterproof on the other and are 29" by 33". They go into both washer and
dryer. I don't remember how much they cost but I think it was about $8 each. I
found them in the medical supply area near the pharmacy.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Pat, My sister gave me several of those pads after her mother-in-law passed away. They are a god sent. I put 2 under the sheet but on top of the mattress cover, saves a lot of laundry. I have recently put on on the couch so if Frank falls asleep there, I just leave him and if he wets the couch isn't ruined. I glad to know where to buy them incase I need more.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I bought some huge ones from Amazon. I mean, they are about 35 inches wide and about 50 inches long. I put one on the bed over the sheet and if it gets wet, I ususally get it before the sheet gets damp and take it off and replace it with a freshpad. That way I just replace the pad and the sheet stays in place. Takes about 30 seconds. I habe three of them and I may get more. They are so handy.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:27 pm

It doesn't hurt to put one on the car seat, either. ;-)

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Good idea. He's already annointed the passenger seat in our new Prius. (Just urine, thank goodness.) It was not one of my finer hours.

Using the Condom Catheter really helps when we go in the car. I don't worry so much anymore. But a pad would give me a little extra peace of mind in case of a 'rear failure."

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 pm

I should explain the "muddy rivers." Mom has, along with everything LBD brings, collagenous colitis, basically eternal diarrhea. We have it under control most of the time with some extraordinarily medication. But when the meds don't do their job or need to be adjusted, it's the muddy Mississippi.

I've used some of the bed pads with the 30 change (over the sheet). Unfortunately, on two I got online (I think from the Bedwetting Store, but don't quote me) the plastic melted in the dryer, making them useless.

I do buy the larger pads, sometimes they can be found in 36" x 72" because Mom still sleeps in her full bed and moves around a lot. These longer pads, I'm told, are meant to cover the entire length of a twin bed, but I just turn them the other way and the cover the trouble area across the whole bed. I also use a chair pad on "her" chair - a lift chair. I've used them in the car, too, on long trips (more than 2 hours). But the couch - now that's something I've thought of but never done. That I need to try! Actually, there are several chairs, etc., that I need to do this for.

My niece made her Grandma some pads with some sort-of waterproof fabric. They've got some flannel-like surface so feel like a small blanket. They're good for not-too-often used chairs and car seats, but I need to see the plastic for heavily used furniture. She got this fabric from a fabric store she worked in while in college. But she generally knows were to get the fabric she wants.

I remember that, in the 60's and later, Mom made some tablecloths for the outdoor furniture out of decorated plastic backed with felt that she found in the fabric store. I think they still sell some version of it.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Kate

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:34 pm

today i went to see my dad for our daily visit and my dad had dirty shorts. i could tell by the odor that he had had another accident. this has been happening with greater frequency lately, so i casually asked him to change out of his shorts. got him into sweats and did a laundry. he didn't understand what had just happened. he kept saying that didn't understand what was the"stain", so i assured him that whatever it was it would come out in the wash and not to worry. he kept harping on it anyway. i reassured him several times that whatever it was, it would be fine. i felt that i should not overexplain because i did not want to embarrass him in any way. i think he would have become very upset to think that he had passed stool. and then he may have denied it. usually now when he plugs the toilet, he will tell me that someone else has done it, so i have learned not to go there. he kept asking me what it was; by the time i left tonight he seemed to be forgetting about it. he lives in his own house, so his aides will not be in until tomorrow morning, but i have updated them on this. he will see his new neurologist in a few days, so hopefully we will know more about his situation. we have aides who come in and take care of him and this hygiene stuff, but now this is happening more and i am dealing with it with increasing frequency, cleaning the bathroom, doing the sheets, laundry, etc., myself so i am thinking that we will need to increase the hours for his aides. best wishes to all in this forum. your stories comfort me and give me inspiration, reassurance, and
strength. hugs to all of you who are also struggling with lbd in their loved ones. i am so very lucky that my dad is able to afford very loving aides to help us all cope, for the time being anyway. when he was living with me we had some challenges, and his separate space has helped him with his pride and spirit of independence, and it has had the bonus of giving us much more quality time together. hoping things get better, or at least not worse for a while. this disease is such a see-saw. i am thankful for each new day when we can laugh together and enjoy just being. :)

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 pm

It sounds like it is time for him to wear Depends-type underwear. One of the things that can also happen with dementia-type illnesses is ataxia, which makes it impossible for the person to be able to really clean themselves so having aides come in more often will be a big help. LBD seems to get so many signals mixed up in their brains that I can understand how your dad doesn't even know "what made that stain". So many things no longer connect like they do in a healthy brain. It is sad, and it sounds like you are doing all you can to help your dad maintain dignity. If he can afford aides to come into his own home that is fantastic. It certainly isn't cheaper than a facility if/when the time comes that he needs 24/7 care but if he can stay home a while longer I'm sure he's happier there. Best, Lynn

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Wow, Nan, impaction is such a difficult situation. My Dad had impaction also. i was out of town when it happened to my Dad this May. But my daughters took him to the hospital. The ordeal lasted several hours. They saw the worst of it, not me. It was pretty tough but they handled it.
As you said, very tough. And I didn't have to deal with it, but my dear daughters did, and they took good care of their of their grandfather in my absence. Lucky for me and my Dad, the family can fill in.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:19 am

Yes, Lynn, I know you are right. Luckily we do have the aides. I am
hoping that we can keep him in his home for as long as possible. We do have adult diapers that we were using following my dad's bladder surgery. So we do have them. He just got the diagnosis from his neurologist on Monday: moderately severe dementia...not sure what is down the road for us, but his dr. is from Mass General in Boston, so i think he knows his stuff. But I am just not clear on staging, and LBD can be so confounding. Six months we go back to MGH. Working on this.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:36 am

"moderately severe" - now that's a confounding concept to try to wrap your head around! Hang in there, it's a tough road. Big hug, Lynn

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am

Yep, it is a very tough road but glad ytou have family to step in when needed, I will tell you the one most helpful thing I found was keeping everything routine as much as possible! Good Luck !

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3