View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Neurologitst or psychiatrist? 

Post Neurologitst or psychiatrist?
Which is better for a person with this disease?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Post Re: Neurologitst or psychiatrist?
Are you still seeking a diagnosis? or, What are the symptoms that you are looking for help with? Lynn

Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm

The diagnosis was made years ago by a neurologist, and he saw her regularly until he was placed in a nursing home. Right now, he is being treated by a team of doctors headed by a psychologist. See my post about ECT.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:14 pm

For my mother, I found that a neurologist with a solid background in LBD is really helpful. It took a while to find one, though. If you would post a query for a neurologist in your area, you might get some suggestions.

Julianne

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 pm

I think a neurologist is essential, at least in the early and middle stages of the disease. A geriatric psychiatrist might be useful but I can't see what a psychologist would accomplish.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:21 pm

I totally agree with Pat. A neurologist with experience and expertise in LBD should be your first choice.
There are some problems with meds where a geriatric psychiatrist (again with experience with LBD) can be helpful, in addition. We have also been grateful for added help/ advice from the social worker in our dementia practice, who is also a friend/ colleague. She had an excellent rapport with my dad and was able to give him a lot of help and good advice.

But the absolute key is a first-rate neurologist, if you can get one. I'm lucky to work in a research group headed by one of the top guys internationally and to be connected to people in other groups. The sad news is that all that high-powered neurology support has very little therapeutic advice to offer at this point other than what most folks here already know. Super help on diagnosis, follow-up, prognosis, questions answered. But limited in what can be done to treat.
Laurel

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 am

I agree with everyone here that a neurologist experienced with LBD is who you want to see. We did also see a geriatric psychologist who had experience with LBD and was the one to actually diagnose my mother. So, the key I think, is someone with expertise and experience in LBD.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 am

A neurologist experienced with LBD is who you want to see. You can also include a geriatric psychologist who had experience with LBD but that is also very hard to find someone well versed in LBD and as mentioned it is often the way many people are DX'ed but again if they know knowing of LBD it can do more harm than good as many psychiatrist are not the best when iot comes to the drugs used for LBD. I always say when making appointments ask if the Dr see's LBD patients and if he DX'es and treats LBD and if you get "Oh sure I *think* he does move on and you always ask for the office manager she is the one that knows what the doctor treats. Good Luck !

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]