View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Swollen legs 

Post Swollen legs
Hi, my Dad, has developed swollen legs in the last few months. The doctor said it was a common enough ailment among old people and he prescribed tablets for it. They have not worked very well though. My Dad has moderate to severe LBD but can still walk independently, thank god. Has anyone else experienced this? I understand that this question should be directed towards a doctor rather than a forum but I would like to hear if anyone else has any advise on what might help alleviate the issue.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Post Re: Swollen legs
Is his urinary output normal? Sometimes, with Lewy, they can't urinate, or at least can't empty their bladder, and the backup affects their kidneys, causing edema in the legs. In 2008, when my husband was in a rehab facility following a hospitalization and he kept pulling out his catheter, they decided to leave it out and he wasn't voiding. His legs swelled and were weeping clear fluid. He had to be hospitalized again. :cry: There could be many other reasons for edema, however, such as congestive heart failure and kidney disease.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi,
I have no medical background so can only say from experience with my father - that the doctor should definitely be made aware that the pills are not working. As once my Dad's legs started swelling, we couldn't get it under control - with pressure stockings, the water pills, keeping his legs raised, nothing worked and the water actually started leaking through his skin and it kept getting worse. If your Dad can walk - walking is supposed to be good to keep the swelling down so I would think it would be good to keep that up. Good luck and keep the doctor informed of what's working and what's not!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 pm

My dad had somewhat swollen ankles and they never did figure out what was causing it. One was much worse than the other, which I thought was strange. He did have stage 3 kidney failure at least his last 18 months, and I just assumed the swelling was from that. I hope you get to the bottom of it and get some help. Best, Lynn

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 pm

thanks all for your advise. The swelling seems to have subsided but I will bring him to the doctor just in case. I got him socks with no elastic as his normal socks were creating a groove in his legs.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]