View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How many are on Anti-depressants... 

Post How many are on Anti-depressants...
If you would all be so kind - can you chime in on how many of your loved ones have and SSRI or similar in their medicine regime? I would be very grateful...I fight mood swings, irritability and probably perimenopause symptoms......wondering if I should take the Effexor the doc prescribed......Thanks all.....Moods are always worse once a month and in evenings......Thanks all.....

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Post Re: How many are on Anti-depressants...
Hi Tonya,
I myself was on effexor for some time as I became very depressed after my second miscarriage. I have to say that I found it extremely helpful. I hated taking it, but my doctor said 'If you have a headache you take a painkiller, what is wrong with taking an anti-depressant if you are depressed?' I guess I was young and the stigma attached had turned me completely against the idea of taking them. Thank God I did, as they helped me so much, and I stayed on them for 3 years without having any side effects. But do remember, everyone is different, so you may not find them any good. It is all trial and error. I hope you find something that works for you,
Ger xxx

Wed May 09, 2012 4:47 am

Tonya,

My 88 y.o. mother has been on Effexor XR for a couple of years, currently 37.5 mg. in the a.m. and 75 mg. in the p.m. Previously she was on Cymbalta, which I think worked better, but then her drug plan changed and that was no longer available to her. She has been on antidepressants for quite a few years, at least 20 that I am aware of.

Earlier on, it seemed that the Effexor was quite effective but in the past few months, she has deteriorated significantly and has become so confused and delusional that it is hard to gauge her level of depression.

Julianne

Wed May 09, 2012 9:11 am

Hi...My husband Norris has been on Lexapro for more than 13 years. When he was first diagnosed with Parkinsons -- when it was only his arm that wasn't swinging -- he began to have weepy moments. They put him on Lexapro. Depression seems to go hand in hand with PD and Lewys. It doesn't seem to be helping as much lately as the Lewy's has advanced, so the dr. added seroquel in the evening to help him sleep peacefully....and it does. Carol

Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks everyone for your replies - The doc did give me effexor - I have taken it before, but it quit working...I'm sure it's been long enough now that it might work again....Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.....

Best,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

My mom has been on various antidepressants for years... right now she's taking Pristiq.

When she was in the hospital a couple months ago, we were trying to clear up some issues and were trying/reducing some meds, and she definitely noticed when she didn't get her pristiq and definitely felt more depressed without it.

Wed May 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Tonya, my husband John took Cymbalta first. We in the family thought depression was what he had. Later he was diagnosed with LBD. He still takes it and remains in early stage, but his weekly pill box now has many other items, too.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 pm

My wife has been on them for 5 years now....started with Prozac....then generic Celexa which she is on now with decent results. Without something she doesn't do well....very down and a lot of tears.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Oh...one more thing ...the doctor switched Patti off Celexa and put her on Wellbutrin and what a nightmare that was. For 4 weeks the depression was terrible and crying all the time ...went back to the Celexa and leveled out again. The 2 drugs are for depression , but work in different ways in the brain . I`m afraid now to change anything. ~D

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

We simply could not survive without them. Due to peripheral neuropathy pain, she was put on Cymbalta...that one covers both pain and depression. IT was recently increased since her depression worsened, and it has helped. She is on 50 mg. Without it, she was hysterical wishing she was dead.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]