View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hospital beds 

Post Hospital beds
Just a quick question for now (although I have many!). We have a hospital bed for Dad and although it's helped somewhat for certain circumstances, I'm really disappointed in how it functions for sitting him up in bed. We are able to transfer him to a wheelchair on most days, but when I'm not available (or another caregiver), Mom's unable to get him out of bed on her own. I was hoping that, on a bad day, or one where it was difficult for me to get there at a specific time, Mom would be able to at least sit him up in bed for a meal. Unfortunately, the bed that was issued to us doesn't accomplish this very easily. It seems to bend at the wrong place no matter how I try to get him situated in the bed. If we try to sit him up, it seems to bend in the middle of his back instead of at his waist. If I put him higher up on the bed, his pillow and head have to actually rest on the metal headboard. Dad is an average size man. Does anyone else have this proplem and have you figured out a solution? It just seems so poorly designed!

Debbie - 2 years in to caregiving with Dad (age 82)

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:56 am

Post Re: Hospital beds
Perhaps you can look into a bed with a different design? I'm having a hard time picturing a bed that bends in the middle of a person's back! Is there a medical supply store, or someone where the bed came from who might be able to help you?

At some point he will probably become a 2-person assist, in which case an in-home helper may be needed. You may want to check into home helpers now and also start looking at facilities before it becomes necessary. You don't want to have to be in an emergency situation and trying to get help or a good placement facility.

It's good that your mom has you to help her with your dad. Take care and all the best. Stop back here often and read as much as you can. It will help you understand what's going on now and hopefully give you the info. and support that you will all need. Lynn

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Can you contact the place where the bed came from and explain your issue and perhaps they can either exchange it or adjust it so it can be used in the way you hoped !

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds to me like the head is where the foot should be, how does the other end work?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 am

Our mom's bed is the same way. She's about 5'6" and to have her hips where the bend is, her head is at the very top of the mattress. I would try talking to your durable equipment provider to see if they have any other options. Good luck! I know for us it's always hard to get to the right person to answer our questi

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]