View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 4mg Risperdal-what to expect 

Post 4mg Risperdal-what to expect
Hello,
During a recent visit to my fathers Doctor apt. we had one of his meds changed to a higher dosage.
My dad has been asking to go home allot more these last few weeks and asking for his mother that has passed away 12 years ago and seems to be dragging his feet allot more. He does these things dailey and over and over but it just seemed to get worse so that is why the dr. increased his dosage.
My mother and I are worried about what to expect with him on this higher dosage? Any responces would be of great help. Thanks..
marty :cry:

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Post Re: 4mg Risperdal-what to expect
Many PD/LBD neurologists do not recommend Risperdal in these disorders. Be on the alert for: Increased muscle stiffness, fever, increased confusion, altered consciousness, signs of NMS [neuroleptic malignant syndrome]. Apparently some Lewys can tolerate it but for my husband it was a near disaster.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Mockturtle, Thank you for your responce. We are so confused as to what meds he should be taking. The doctor did mention that the med he is taking has serious side effects. My father is very very mean and can be abusive as well, so for my mothers sake we were just happy with something that was going to make him calm. Now the doctor said he could take him off of the Riperdal, but we would just have to put up with his meanfulness and my mother is terrified of him. He also takes Lorazapam and is also a diabetic too so he also takes insulin and he takes cymbalta. Its just a mess. We had him in a mental home so they could do some med management and that is what they had him on only they had him on 2 miligrams of Risperdal. This is his first week with the new increase of Risperdal. They increased it because he had been asking to go home and asking for his deceased mother and his look behind his eyes seem so blank. i know it doesnt make sence because it really doesnt make sence to me or my mom but we are just so confused with this disease. Its a sad disease. marty :cry:

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Many neurologists prescribe Seroquel. My husband has done very well on it.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Our experience with Risperdal was not good but with Seroquel much better

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]