View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Where to place? 

Post Where to place?
My husband is 59 and has LBD. He has been in two nursing facilities. The first "kicked him out" due to aggression issues. So he went to another place. He was being aggressive there and is now in a behavioral health hospital. He's been there 3 weeks - no improvement - they've tried about every medication there is. It takes three staff members to pull him off people. I witnessed an outburst last week and it was awful. Not sure how long he can stay at this hospital. They've told me that unfortunately it could be a cycle of admitting him to a nursing home, then back to the hospital, then to another nursing home. He is on Medicaid so we don't have that many options plus I know once he has violent tendencies listed in his record a lot of places won't take him. The hospital said the State Mental Hospital won't take him because he has dementia.

Has anyone else had this issue and where do you place them??? Maybe this is where the homeless violent people come from?? Surely there are options???

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Post Re: Where to place?
We had similar issues. Seroquel has made all the difference for my husband. Although he still has days where he is combative, they are few. What meds is your husband on? Sometimes the wrong ones do far more harm than good. According to many neurolgists who work with LBD, Haldol, Risperdal, Abilify and Zyprexa are no-nos for PD and LBD. Infections can also bring about behavioral problems, as can pain. With my husband, it is his delusions that cause his outbursts, as he thinks people are trying to hurt him when they are helping him. Including me, often.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm

"Where you place them" can vary a lot depending on what state you are in, what the rules, procedures, and laws are, etc. If you are in or near a metropolitan area you may have more choices of places to investigate. I'd try to find a social worker who may be able to give you a list of places to investigate and may be able to answer some of your questions. Lynn

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks Lynn,
I have two social workers I am working with and they are not very encouraging. They are the ones that told me basically it is a revolving cycle. I am in Denver. I'll keep trying!!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 pm

I have personally known a few people who have gone through what you are experiencing. One thing in your favor is that you are in a large metropolitan area so you potentially have a lot more choices. Have you looked into facilities that might be somewhat outside Denver, say Ft. Collins, Loveland, Colorado Springs, etc.? I'm wondering if there could be some places that aren't super far away where they specialize in dementia care, so they are set up for dealing with people like your husband. 2 of the people whose husbands were in a similar situation were in a dementia care facility, and even then they had to be taken to the hosp. for short stays to be medicated because they'd gotten very violent in the ALFs. A woman in my dad's ALF, who was about 61 at the time, had a similar situation. I'm hoping your husband's drs. can find some med. combination that will help, but in the meantime, it sounds like you have a lot of checking out facilities to do. I know it's a drag to have to drive far, but if you can find a place within an hour or so of where you live and it is a good match with his care needs, that would be preferable (to me at least) that possibly placing him somewhere where they don't know how to deal with dementia patients. All the best, during a very difficult journey for both of you, Lynn

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]