View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 My recovery 

Post My recovery
Pat, thank you for asking. I did great while I cared for Mr Bobby. When he was gone, I spent much of my time sitting and remembering. I thought I would begin to reenter the usual small town social activities. I had been shut off from them for so long, it seemed strange. My friends were either aged or gone. I felt like Rip Van Winkle. When I went to church or drug store or PO, etc, I began having falls.. While I cared for Mr Bobby, the children allowed it but they decided if I insisted on caring for their dad, they would care for me. They continued that even after his death. I went to my family physicialn who prescribed Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy both because I was losing strength in my hands also. Medicare covered it for a session and when the time ran out I continued going two hours MWF. Strangely I do not lose weight but that is not the primary objective, even though it would be nice. It has been a life saver for me. I still live alone and thankfully the kids do not bug me about it. We do have a pact for when I can no longer do this, they will meet with me and say, "Mother, its time". So far that has not happened. I live here with my little dachshund and wonderful neighbors.

This past September, I held Open House for my ninetieth birthday celebration. All my family came and hosted it for me. One grandchild was heard to ask, "Do you know all these people"" the answer came back, "No but Grandmother does.".

I have continued a long genealogy journey in my search for ancestors who landed on the shores in the Mayflower. Wanting to document the stories I always heard as a child. I have now received the Congratulations welcoming me as a member of the Alden Kindred, which means that I am descended fro John Alden and Pricilla Mullins. A child of the Mayflower passengers. I await the beautiful Certificate.

And so I have found life after Lewy Body but goodness I miss my dearly beloved.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:34 am

Hey, I have Mayflower ancestry, too: John Howland, Elizabeth Tilley and her parents! Which are you descended from?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am

Post Re: My Mayflower people
Documented JohnAlden and Pricilla Mullins. Working on Richard Warren. Almost there.

Mr Bobby was amused with my searching and reaction when I found something either happy or sad. He said, "I don't know why she's so excited, they're all dead". He said it with a twinkle in his eye and a smile.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:08 am

Post Re: My recovery
Sorry--you had already stated that! ;-) John Howland almost drowned after falling overboard during the voyage. Weird to think how tenuous is our lineage. Very few of the Mayflower passengers survived the first winter.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 am

Interesting stories, ladies! Maybe you two have some blood ancestry from way back when - afterall, there weren't that many people who arrived and survived in those days! I need to start doing some genealogy research - went to the Mormon genealogy research center in SLC a few years back but couldn't find much of anyone on either side of my family, but maybe there is more data now. Lynn

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Dear Dorthea,
Please let me wish you a belated 90th Birthday, what an honor and I wish you many more.
Life sure does give us so many twists and turns doesn't it !
God Bless !

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]