View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Can you move the patient yourself in nursing home? 

Post Can you move the patient yourself in nursing home?
I have a friend whose husband has advanced Parkinson's and dementia. He is in a nursing home. She has requested that he be put to bed right after dinner at night, but CNAs often wait until 9PM to do that. She has tried to help him into bed herself, as she did every night at their home before coming to the nursing home. A CNA fussed at her and told her it was against the rules for her to put her husband into bed. CNA said if he falls, the home is liable for any injury. So now my friend feels frustrated because he is stuck in a wheelchair when he wants and needs to be in bed.

A couple of nights ago, he was alone and fell trying to get into bed from his wheelchair as he waited to be helped by staff.

Does anyone know the rules about this? My thought was "This is your husband; he needs and wants and asks to rest in bed; you are there; CNAs are busy for 3 hours getting to other patients; just help your own husband get into bed!"

Looking forward to reading your thoughts about this.

Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Post Re: Can you move the patient yourself in nursing home?
Pat, this is exactly what we have encountered. After lunch, he wants to lie down. He gets very tired sitting in the wheelchair all morning. I use the 'sit-to-stand' lift to lay him on the bed because the aides are all still busy feeding residents. He always goes to sleep immediately. No one has ever told me not to, and I've been doing it for over a year. If they did, I guess I would ask to sign some sort of release in case of accident. I think that they are off the hook if something happens when I am doing his care but I'm not sure.

I cannot put him to bed in the evening because there is no way I can get him undressed and changed by myself but I have made it very clear that he needs to be in bed by at least 8PM and I've nagged them until someone puts him to bed [he's a two-person transfer]. After a while, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Although I visit every morning, I no longer go in the evening except occasionally but often enough that they know I'll raise a bit of a stink if I find him leaning over, asleep, in his wheelchair after 8:00. Sometimes I find they have put him to bed by 7.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm

We had the situation with my dad towards the end and before he was bedridden 24/7. They still got him up for meals, put him in a wheelchair and took him to the dementia area where he had to eat with other dementia patients. He absolutely hated being "with those people" (his words) and wanted to go back to his room immediately after eating. The staff usually were unable to do this so he started scooting himself out of his wheelchair and falling on the floor. Then someone had to pick him up and put him back in the w/c so THEN he'd get taken back.

They did not want friends or family transferring him - he was a 2/3 person assist by then. You are right - if a patient in a facility falls, the facility is legally responsible for their safety. So, they want their staff to do it, no matter if that means the person doesn't get to bed when they want or need to. I think it's an issue to bring up with the admin. at the facility to see what you can work out. Good luck, Lynn

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks, Pat. This is very close to what I suggested to her. I will pass this on to her.
Pat2

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

There are reasons for these rules. For instance, once I brought my mother back from the dentist and she was in a wheelchair from the vehicle to her room. (She usually used a walker.) There weren't any aides handy so I locked the wheelchair and tried to help her to her feet. Holy smokes, she got a vise-like grip on my arm and just about pulled it out of the socket! It was sore for weeks. Needless to say, I put her back in the wheelchair and found some aides. I'd say the facility is trying to protect the family as well as itself!

Julianne

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm

I know this is an old thread but our family has definitely had experience with this issue! Mom had to go to a facility for IV antibiotics and we decided to have her stay as long as she qualified for PT and OT everyday. The facility did not want us to move mom ourselves. PT was a huuuge help for us. The therapist taught us how to use a gait belt and slide board to move mom between the bed and her wheelchair. She taught us all proper techniques to protect our backs. We found half of the staff didn't know how to do this and were very inconsistent in how they would transfer mom. Mom also had a shoulder that was subluxated slightly (stroke has made her unable to use her left side, if left arm isn't positioned properly it will just be a dead weight pulling from the joint). Mom is also incontinent so we have to be extremely vigilant that she isn't in one position too long or sitting in soiled briefs. Our deal with the administrator was that we'd hit the call bell and start positioning the chair, putting on the belt, etc. If we didn't get an acknowledgment of the call bell and a specific time frame for help within 15 min, we just continued on our own!

We were all confident that we knew how to do this safely and we know our own limits. So far, Mom hasn't had any more issues with breakdown since we jumped in and have become more proactive.

Unfortunately, you do have to be the squeaky wheel to get the care you're loved one needs.

janet

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 am

I too have had to deal wit this. I took care of my mom for 10 years and know how to move her but they won't allow it. So she has to wait. And wait.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Janet, your suggestion is outstanding!

And, yes, as caregivers we MUST be proactive and very squeaky wheels until those who make decisions listen to good old common sense.

As I squeak I try hard to smile and connect in some positive way with any decision maker. My old high school drama teacher always reminded us that honey attracts flies much more than vinegar. But if I must, I can use other methods to get the attention of those I want to listen to me. John matters too much to me to do anything else. One of my most effective tools is to say to any medical provider, "I am sure you would never ever want to cause any harm to my husband." That "do no harm" rule can be a potent tool for us caregivers.

Take care,
Pat

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Great point, Pat! I wish I'd use that line on my dad's CNP & psychiatrist, although I'm not sure I could have gotten them to make changes anyway. But in case I'm ever in that situation again, that will be a great tool to use.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]