View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Trouble Eating, Still Hungry and Losing Weight 

Post Trouble Eating, Still Hungry and Losing Weight
My mom is only eating about 25% of her meals, thicken liquid and pureed food. The other night after super could hear her stomach making noise, still hungry I would think. Any ideas?
Thanks

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 am

Post Re: Trouble Eating, Still Hungry and Losing Weight
If you can get her to take drinks then it makes it easier to get calories into her. I make my dad milkshakes. I make a pint up with 2 tubs of fruit baby food, one banana, ice cream, fresh cream and strawberry milk. He loves them and will drink a pint at a time which gives him at least half of the calories for the day.
I add cheese, cream and milk into pureed vegtable soups. I also find that he can't tackle food if it looks a lot so in the mornings instead of giving him one yoghurt in a pot I pour 2 into a bowl and he just eats it all without noticing the difference whereas there is no way he would eat 2 in pots as it would look too much.
He won't eat anything that is difficult to eat so I make sure that everything is pureed or soft or he will refuse to eat it.
He had lost a lot of weight and was looking really ill but since I've been getting sneakier he has put over 10lbs back on.
I hope some of that helps.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am

One thing to keep in mind your Mom is not brning calories as she did when she was more active so he need is not as it was and it might help if she is offered more in betwween snack type foods. It gets to a point of a balanced meal is not the most import thing in life.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Irene makes a very good point - the less mobile and active the person is, the fewer calories they need. Not knowing what general state of health is or where your LO is with progression of the disease, it could mean different things. If the person is in their last 6 - 12 months, this may just be part of the natural progression. According to hospice, not only do people not need as much food in the end, they also have a difficult time digesting foods and meds, so forcing in more calories than the person wants may be counter-productive.
When it gets to the point that there is so little else we can do to help our LOs, we find that giving them more/different food or drink helps US, and may not be actually helping them. It makes us feel like we have some control over the situation and that we can help our LO. Irene's point that a better balanced diet may not be the most important factor is worth considering. My dad lived on ice cream, milkshakes and Hershey kisses, mostly, in his last few months, and I'm sure that didn't have any effect on his longevity, but it was a quality of life issue for him - he was happy only eating certain things, so why fight it and give him one more thing to be angry about?
If your LO is relatively physically healthy and it appears that she is not in her last stages, the milkshake with added foods is probably a really good choice. It has worked for many people on here in previous discussions about this. You may want to search former postings for similar situations. Good luck. Lynn

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful food advice. Mom is in the last stages for sure, not active at all and looking pretty poor. I went and fed her breakfast today and got about 1/4 of a glass of OJ and some oatmeal in her. I like the idea of just giving her ice cream as she loves that or the shake idea is great too.
Thanks again for all the advice, helps me tons.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 pm

I know what you are going through. It was very helpful to have the pamphlet from hospice about what happens when in the final stages of life. I didn't know that insisting that a person eat, for instance, was probably NOT helpful to them and probably makes them physically uncomfortable. I felt helpless and the one thing I could do for my dad was to bring him foods that he liked, nutrition be da***ed! So, if one of his meals was 1 Hershey Kiss or 3 bites of an ice cream sandwich, that's what he had. I hope you can take care of yourself while you're doing such a good job of CGing. Lynn

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Lynn,
I am going to call our hospice nurse tomorrow and try and get her to explain what stage mom is in or nearing and talk to her about her food or lack of and if I should just stop worrying about it and request that mom get ice cream! Noticed mom has quite a large deep red bruise looking spot on her hand too, will check the rest of her tomorrow.
Thanks, hearing from everyone helps keep the stress and tension a little bit less.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Sue - don't know if this could be the cause of your mom's bruise, but we had a similar situation with my dad. In his last few months he was so aggitated and frustrated that he would purposely whack the back of his hands against the wall, table, bed rails or whatever was close by. First it started with awful-looking bruises, then the backs of his hands split open. We tried various things, like moving the bed away from the wall, but another CG would move it back, puttig lots of bandages on his hands, but then when they were taken off he'd do it all over again. I hope you are successful finding out what caused it and hopefully preventing it in the future.
Have you read the hospice pamphlet on dying? I wish I'd been given that about 6 mo. before I got it. It would have been very helpful to me in understanding all these things like "why isn't he eating?" and "why does he seem to be shutting out most of his family members", etc.
Hugs, Lynn

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPx-qpos57g

Here is a youtube video Called "Gone from my sight "

I hope it helps !

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]