View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mat by the bed for falling or not needed anymore? 

Post Mat by the bed for falling or not needed anymore?
My mom can not move anything on her body, ok, she can move her eyes and mouth but that is about it. My question is does she still need a mat on the floor when she is in bed in case she falls out? The hospice nurse said that sometimes when people run an infection they move around more than ever and she might move and fall out of bed. Do you think our nurse is just unaware of LBD or is it possible that mom might turn herself over or move in the future so we should continue putting the mat up and down when she is placed in bed?

This is not a big deal as far as putting the mat up and down but I though it might be easier for her care givers if this was one less thing they need to do for her care.

Thanks for your opinions.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Post Re: Mat by the bed for falling or not needed anymore?
This is what happened in our dealings with LBD. My husband didn't walk for close to 18 months and in his final days was placed in Hospice , now keep in mind I turned in for the last 3 months every few hours to prevent any sores and just days before he passed he walked out of his room, I was not there when he did it and when I arrived back they again asked me if he walked and I said no he did not for some time and that was when I was informed he did that day so it could be this hospice nurse knows more than you think. I have learned in the many yrs involved with LBD that anything is possible !

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm
Profile WWW

A neighbor's husband had PD and hadn't walked in months. He was in a nursing home and the day he died he said he wanted to walk again so the physical therapist helped him walk down the hall with his walker. Amazingly, he was able to do it. Later that day, though, his heart failed and he died. How can one explain seemingly atrophied limbs suddenly springing to life?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 am

Wow, that is really something - to see my mom even sit up once again would be a gift. I stopped in today to see her as she is getting a pressure sore on her butt (not looking good) and we just had the hospice nurse obtain a different mattress for her, hope that helps. They are turning her every hour but it drives me crazy that she is put in bed so much and for such a long period of time. Mom is extremely hot all the time, wears short sleeves and when they get her up from bed is sweating to beat the band, boy does she run warm. Also loosing weight like you wouldn't believe, too hard to eat, aggggh.

Thanks for listening to my rambling, heart breaks just a little bit more every time I see her and really appreciate all the kind words and advice from everyone.

Thanks so very much.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Rambling is good for the soul !

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]