View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 abilify 

Post abilify
I have several family members who had or have LBD.

1. Is Abilify effective in treating symptoms that appear to be delirium?
2. Does Abilify typically make symptoms of Parkinson's more severe?
3. What are the contraindications for folks with LBD to take Abilify?

Many thanks!
Liz

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Post Re: abilify
A neurologist specializing in these disorders would be the best source of information but from what I understand, any antipsychotics, including the atypical ones, can worsen PD symptoms because of their anticholinergic effects. Which ones can best be tolerated depends on the individual. My husband can only take quetiapine [Seroquel] and could not tolerate risperidone [Risperdal]. Some cannot take Seroquel and a few do fine on Risperdal. I don't know anyone personally with LBD who takes Abilify but they are all similar drugs. If my LOs PD symptoms got worse on a medication, I would ask if another could be tried.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Abilify is not recommended for elderly patients with dementia. It even says that in their commercial.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 am

I don't think Abilify is a good choice of drug for LBD but Pat is right all drugs need to be checked wiith the doctor and I know I am not a Dr.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Personal experience, which is nothing short of a nightmare. Mom went into severe delirium while hospitalized. They called the family she was so bad. They couldn't handle her. Anyway she was given Abilify that night it, oh my goodness, I called it a scene out of the Exorcist....three nurses in the room trying to restrain her.

Mom is now on Seroquel after trying Risperdal and Zyprexa, both which took her ability to move away!! She was on Seroquel first, and did well, then I guess the dementia advanced.

Hear ye, hear ye....I am fully familiar with the commercial and the black box warning...HOWEVER, I held off as long as possible.....finally, she called me from her assisted living screaming bloody murder saying 2 CNA's were trying to slit her throat...she was so bad we had to call 911....first night of hospitalization, she was literally "dodging bullets" all night long. After one dose of Seroquel, no bullets, no knives....so it can be a life saver.

As for the "sudden death" warning, THERE ARE SOME THINGS WORSE THAN DYING, and this HORRID disease is one of them!!!!!

Strong words, but my brother and I are basketcases...................and so is she.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Denshaw - I totally agree. The grip of LBD on one's mind and body is worse than death. I hope things will stay under control for your mom. Lynn

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

And I agree, too. My mom is on a low enough dose of seroquel that the added risk of cardiovascular event is perhaps 10% greater over the next 5 years. She is 97 and has at least a moderate degree of dementia. This small added risk of a stroke if she makes it to 100 is very low on our scale of worries, compared with the distress that arose from her delusions about the kidnapping or death of family members, or fire in the building. But her poor primary care doc gets a snippy warning letter every single month from some practice monitor, warning him that he is being bad for prescribing this to an old lady. I suggested that he refer the watchdogs to Charlie, our neurologist colleague, but he says he is fine, and just sends back the same patient letter every time. I guess I could go write a letter myself and include a lit review and my own professional interpretation as well as my family's assessment of relative risks, if I really had to do that.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am

Liz, My husband takes abilify and he has lewy Body, he does well on it, he doesn't deal with psychotic thoughts when he is on it and it greatly lessens his depression.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]