View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Is there an adjustsment time for Seroquel? 

Post Is there an adjustsment time for Seroquel?
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this with Seroquel. We put my husband on it 12.5 dosage and he was agitated, gave him the other 1/2 about 2 hours later and was up all night. The next night, gave him the 25 mg, the same thing up for about 8 hours before going to sleep. At the hospital, they tried it again with the same reaction.

Has anyone continued to keep their loved ones on it or higher the dosage too see if his body just needs to adjust to the med, or is this a bad reaction to the medication?

I just started reading the caregiver book 2 weeks ago and everything changed with my husband within a couple of days, from functioning for the most part to full blown hallucination/dellusions within days. They ruled out a stroke but I had to have him admitted to the hospital as he got so bad so fast.

Sue

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 am

Post Re: Is there an adjustsment time for Seroquel?
Seroquel had just the opposite effect on my husband. Even 12.5mg had a calming effect but didn't last long and it was gradually increased and now he gets 50mg twice a day. His behavior was very difficult without it and I'm sure the SNF would not have kept him if he were not on it.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 pm

My dad's neurologist says it takes about two weeks to adjust to it.
My dad started taking it for agitation and staying up for 2-3 days straight.

After being on 25mg twice a day he is actually having episodes of being awake for days closer together.

Doc wants mom to double the dose from 25mg to 50mg at night as he is still very agitated at night. But he sleeps all day in between the waking all the time episodes and she is scared to give it to him.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 am

I'm new here and new to LBD (got my mom's diagnosis after hospitalization 5 weeks ago). She started on low 25mg about 3 weeks ago. Seemed to help but she was drowsy and slurry. Folks at the facility where she is said she was sleeping at night, but maybe her daytime drowsiness was from lack of sleep. Hard to tell. We decreased to 12.5. to see if we could get her less blurry/out of it. But then her aggression returned, so back up tot 25 mg. now starting 3 days ago. Slurry again but less aggression. Really tired first day and she told me she was up all night. So I've asked them to tell me about her sleep patterns (i'm a single mom so can't be there all the time to monitor) so I can figure out what's going on.
I'll report back as things go and share what our experiences are with Seroquel. I'm very curious too!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 am

I really don't think Seroquel should be acting this way, in fact if anything I would expect a sleepy person where in time they would adjust. I think a call to the Doctor is in order here. Just my .02 worth.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am
Profile WWW

You'll see many postings on here and in other literature about meds and how they work great for one person and have the totally opposite effect on others. It's so difficult to know what will work for one person, so I'd 2nd Irene's suggestion that you talk with the dr. If it is NOT working for your LO, I'd call the dr. so they can make a change in meds. Good luck, Lynn

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]