View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Bugs 

Post Bugs
I don't know if this is classified as a behavioral issue or symptoms, but I need advice on bugs. I've read where people with LBD see bugs and this is not the first time my LO has been seeing bugs. He sees them everywhere and spends time walking around with his flashlight looking. Once says he killed about six or seven bugs running around in our bathroom sink. (Whisker hairs maybe??). Now he's obsessing over it. Feels them biting him. Says the pop when he squishes them. The problem is our carpet. It's primarily a short beige shag. Randomly throughout are brown specs, actually brown thread woven around a strand of beige that looks like specs. He sees these (or some of these) as bugs. I can't just "go along with it." I told him I could get our exterminator (we have the outside sprayed regularly due to the ant population in the desert) to spray inside if he wants. He says no, that's alright. I know that if the exterminator sprayed, yet we still had the same carpet, he'd still see bugs. I explain that this vision is a common one among people who have LBD. He accepted that a month or so ago, but no longer does. I told him he's thinking the brown specs are bugs, even went down and pinched the brown thread, spread my hands around the carpet, etc. and he still insists they're bugs. The only way to get "rid" of them is to replace the carpet. We're talking expense here. Anyone else have any ideas? Will this obsession pass?

Thanks for your help.
Terri

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:43 am

Post Re: Bugs
Terri,
From all that I know of LBD the things people with LBD generally are not scary to them often they are small animals and little children, I had one episode where my husband seen bugs, was scared by them and that was a med change needed. I am not saying thats the case for your husband and I hope others will answer what they think here !

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:24 am
Profile WWW

my husband hallucinations are very scary and violent.. but i think its because he has ptsd also...

he hasnt seen bugs yet.. but he does look on the floor all the time and finds little drops of water?) in the kitchen where ive walked from the sink to the stove or back..or envisioned?? he carrys a little scott towel with him to wipe it up.. i feel its more like him obsessing.. cause sometimes the floor is not wet... i used to ask about and now i just let it be... altho sadly, when the sun shines on the floor, its a mess of polka dot spots, where he wipes with his wet rag... :wink:

this has been going on for over year .. so i cant tell ya yet, if it comes and goes..
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 am

Ted would see bugs, also would say there were shards of glass sticking him. He'd show me things in his hands, but most of the times his hands were empty. I just went with it, consoled him. It seemed to come and go for us--I don't think you should replace the carpet though. Of course, I do know how difficult it is to redirect them from something they're stuck on...try to hang in there. Hope it passes soon.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

MY LO sees bugs at times that actually are specs of dirt or crumbs on the table. She does see babies and dogs often. This is a change from seeing 3 fat ladies with kids in our bed every night. She does at times see others in the house and I think this is shadows from the lights. I have tried all the different types of lights. I am back to the daylight bulbs in the family room and normal bulbs in the hallway. Hope this helps

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:35 am

Things are still very buggy around here. Irene, you mentioned a med change. Which med? I have doubled his Seroquel at night. It appears to let him sleep better, but this morning he says the bug spray's not working. He only takes 25 mg in the morning and now 50 mg at night. I did spray the unscented flying insect spray in our bedroom the other night, just to appease him but I can't be doing that every night. He feels they are biting him all over. He says he has welts but I don't see any. I use a non-itch cream on him as his skin is very dry and I think that helps. I know how I would feel if I saw bugs everywhere, I would really freak. I've had occasion to wipe out some ants outside from time to time and whenever I do, I feel them all over me, creepy. I hope this passes. Thanks all for the encouragement. It helps tremendously. God Bless.

Happy New Year all,
Terri

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm

My husband used a half gallon of bug spray on the "millions of ants" in our kitchen. It gets expensive so now there is water with a touch of spray (for the scent) in the jug. He can spray and it isn't costing an arm and a leg and there isn't a problem with chemical affects from too much bug spray. It might help for you.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Terri,
Could be more Seroquel could be used in the am , you really need to check with his doctor first, I think we ended up using 175mg a day, I used it 3x's a day but started out at bedtime like you have but all changes were made by the doctor.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile WWW

My mom had a similar issue that seems to have gone away. She sprayed her entire bed with Raid to kill "the bugs" that were biting her all night. They were constantly flying into her face. This issue resolved when we started the Excelon Patch, but the trade off was aggression.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 am

Irene, I've already discussed med changes with the doctor. I adjust as needed. As his caregiver 24/7, I'm best qualified to determine how the changes effect his behavior. Of course, there is a maximum dose that I would never exceed without first talking with his doctor. He's not really taking much in the way of prescription drugs so, for now it's working out. There are good suggestions here, such as the water spray. I had thought about getting a spray bottle of insecticide, pouring out the chemical, and replacing with water. Hadn't thought to keep a little of the chemical in the bottle for smell however. Great thought. Glad to hear someone else is doing it with some success. I can't wait to try it. Thanks all for your comments. You've been very helpful.

God bless, and Happy New Year.
Terri

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Rather than using an unnecessary pesticide, can you add something to the water in the bug spray bottle, like a non-toxic household cleaner, perfume, aftershave, or something to give it some scent instead? Lynn

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]