View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Hobbies for people who have LBD? 

Post Hobbies for people who have LBD?
Hi - I'm curious if anyone can recommend some hobbies for people who are afflicted with LBD. My father-in-law was diagnosed about a year ago, and has recently grown more and more frustrated doing simple tasks. He so badly wants to occupy his time with something, but just ends up getting frustrated. What are some ideas you've tried? Thanks

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Post Re: Hobbies for people who have LBD?
Well...that's a tough one. Ted so loved golf. We played with some very patient people (and some not so patient ones) in the early days. We were continually adjusting--which meant using the front tees, allowing him to skip shots or holes, to just going to the driving range, and finally, just taking him with us to ride in the cart. Eventually, we even lost that, but had plenty of good times inbetween--especially when Ted hit a magic shot (he also could always hit straighter than I ever could). Lots of encouragement is key always--and of course, looking the other way when things got too frustrating. I spoke with a golf pro on a course we used to play in Myrtle Beach, and he made sure we were not placed with anyone else, and we had a handicap flag for our cart so others could give us our time and space. We also adjusted and used the Wii games for awhile--Ted especially loved the bowling game (he used to be on a few leagues when we were younger). I now read the paper to Ted, watch those "wonderful" movies and ball games with him even when I can share talks and fill him in on what our girls are doing. Face Time on an iPhone has been precious to be able to talk to the two who now live out of town. His face lights up when he sees them and it makes me so happy. Sometimes, tho, he doesn't even wake up enough to participate, but at least we try. Also, we would try some small items on the computer, but when Ted's hands and coordination were especially bad, that would only frustrate him. It all is a matter of timing and opportunity.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 pm

i find this one for the hardest things... hubby has days where it doesnt seem like anything is wrong... but when we try things, no matter how good the day, he is struggling.. i think there are things he can do.. and once we start im shocked at how limited in some things he is.. but hes also bored.. we have dug deep and always looking for more ideas...

in the beginning we did model cars, paint by numbers, lots of gardening, and since he was a contractor.. he did lots of stuff around the house... but most of that is too much now....

so we play cards.. fish, war at a very slow pace... puzzles ..100 piece or 50 piece... its funny he does them upside down?? some days he zips thru, other days not.... he likes to empty the dw.. i cant find things, for days, but that ok... folding clothes is relaxing, it makes him feel like he helping and he is.. he loves to go sweep outside,the yard is cleaner than its ever been.. i try to think of things tha make him feel important and needed...
he loves animals.. i thought about a dog, but decided it might be too much.. so we got a cat.. oh my gosh what a joy to watch him with the cat.. he will sit forever, just talking and petting and watching.. he seems the most content, when hes with the cat... i think he realizes on some level, hes struggling for words, hes making up words.. his memory is getting worse each day.. this last two weeks have been scary.. but with the cat,, he relaxes and just enjoys... and it brings such joy just watching them...

hope some of these help and others will bring some ideas for both of us.........
good luck,
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 am

Hi all....I wish there was a good answer ..... my husband, Norris, retired about 15 years ago at 63, he loved to read, jog and take long walks, we traveled, and had lengthy political discussions. His dx of PD about 14 years ago slowed him down, but we still walked and traveled, and he read alot. Then when Mr. Lewy came calling (symptoms began 4-5 years ago but we attributed them to PD), and in the past year it has stopped his ability to read, lost interest and ability to travel, lost interest in playing games and cards, and loses concentration even when watching Jeopardy. As he enters this late mid-early late stage, he will sit and listen and doze to books on tape, watch some tv re-runs, but naps and dozes alot. I try to get him to do stretching exercises but he refuses now, he will take brief walks........it is a sad end for a interested, enthusiastic, educated, involved person. Just when you think you found something for them to do Lewy takes another leap and the desire is gone..... :P Happy Thanksgiving to all you CG's out there. Carol

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Appropriate and engaging hobbies or activities will vary so much depending on a lot of factors.
What was he interested in and/or good at before he became ill?
What does/did he have a passion for?
Is he mobile?
Does he still have fine motor skills in his hands?
Is there anything he obviously enjoys and can still do right now?
If you do find something he likes and is able to do, that's great, but don't be too disappointed if he either loses interest or is physically unable to do the activity suddenly. In other words, if you find out he loves jigsaw puzzles, for example, I'd get him a bunch. But don't be too disappointed when he loses interest and/or is unable to pick up the pieces. That is part of the natural progression of the disease.
Some on here have found that the electronic photo frames with pictures of LOs, favorite places, etc. keep their LOs entertained, especially those in later stages who no longer have fine motor coordination, etc.
There have been other postings on this topic in the past and perhaps you can find those and get some ideas. Without knowing what his level of functioning is, it's hard to come up with specific ideas.
Good luck! Lynn

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 pm

i think the no interest part, makes finding something, so difficult.. all the things he saved to do when he retired.. on most days he could care less.. and on the days he does have a slight interest... cognitively its impossible.

there are a lot of difficult things about this horrible disease and this is one of them.. he is bored, he just walks around and no matter how hard i try to find something for him, on most days...hes just not interested... even simple things like movies or sports.. seem to be hard to follow... i watch the reg tv shows after hes asleep.. i put on the singing shows early in the evening... and he seems to enjoy that, doesnt understand the competition part, i dont think.. but enjoys most of the songs.. sometimes i just put the music on and he seems happy to just sit and listen...
he used to like the circle the word games. but have noticed lately.. he'll sit for awhile looking, but not much circling going on..

cards... i make up games... just matching numbers and/ or suits .. are things we can play together... the little kitty is still the #one thing that keeps his interest... wish id done that years ago...
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Cindi - can he do things like fold laundry, put dishes away, weed the garden, or other things like that to keep his hands busy? Can/will he do jigsaw puzzles or other puzzles that require manual manipulation, like those links that fit together, Rubic cubes, etc. or would those things only frustrate him?
Lynn

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

lynn thank you for your ideas...
yes i mentioned earlier on this thread,, the folding of clothes, putting away of dishes and puzzles still work, some days.. lately sweeping outside or raking is keeping him occupied.. a bit.. but pain in his legs, are really causing some difficulty, doing those....

i got him a simon says i was so excited, thought he love it.. it hated it.. way too complicated and frustrating... the rubic cube, i think might be the same.... but hopefully that idea will work for others...
thank you again for sharing ideas...
cindi

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 am

Has anyone tried therapeutic horseback riding as a hobby and exercise for PD or LBD? I was a therapeutic riding instructor several years ago and it is highly recommended as good for people because the walking motion of a horse stimulates the same muscles as when a person walks. Of course you lead the horse and have people along side (if necessary) but it is an enjoyable way to get out and both partners can take part.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 pm

If you search the posts this subject has been touched on a few times.

I often had my husband cut coupons out of the paper and he would dry silverware, I would bring the tray to him at the table and then he could take all the time he needed.

I found word puzzels were to difficult when he was at a certain stage but he sometimes could do circle the word puzzels, I often read things to him from the headlines and would try to engage him in conversation but that only lasted so long too.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

Cindi - what about a Wii? I've never used one, but maybe there is some game for that that he'd do - bowling? golf? yoga? something that would keep him occupied like that? Has anyone else tried any Wii games with their LOs? Lynn

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

The Wii worked for us with Ted for quite awhile. The bowling was one of the more fun ones, good pace. We even did the exercise piece that tracked your status, gave you some items to do like balance, etc. It was difficult, however, to use the Wii balance board unless I stayed right there with Ted. But, a lot of items can still be done while sitting in a chair. Because of the balance board issue, I also bought a Kinect system. I must say tho that Ted seemed to do better with the Wii overall--for some reason it seemed less complex. It also was good to start a game and just have Ted get involved by watching us. Then we'd sometimes even be able to give him a play or two (many times he just wasn't up to doing an entire game).

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]