View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Meds for acid reflux 

Post Meds for acid reflux
Hi everyone, I haven't been here in months, I'm going to have to do a lot of reading to catch up on everyone. I have a question regarding (possible) acid reflux: my husband does not talk, nor can he indicate if he's having pain other than the outward signs such as grimacing, so I (we, including the hospice nurse) am having a difficult time diagnosing his continued gagging, couching and choking. It happens whether he is lying down (he's never flat, always elevated) or sitting up. Sometimes it is right after a meal but not always. It can be for a moment or go on for an hour. The nurse believes it might be acid reflux so this week I backed off on fluids right before lying down and made meals smaller and earlier in the day, also elevated him to almost sitting when lying in his bed. This has actually helped a lot which leads me to believe she is right. We have discussed trying a med but I wanted to check in with all of you to see what has worked for you. Time released capsules are out, I have to crush his meds. Thanks for any input and I just want to say I hope you are all doing well and hanging in there.......Sher

Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 am

Post Re: Meds for acid reflux
From my personal experience, just be sure to go slowly. We tried my mom on a prescription of Prilosec last year as she was having horrible heartburn, and it made her confusion signficantly worse so we had to discontinue it. Every person with Lewy's is different though ( as we all know so well), and it may work well for another person. Just remember to go low dose and slow.
Ellen

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm

hi sher..

long time no see.... glad too see you here...

how about if you are crushing just trying tums.. instead of a pill of some sort... sounds like reducing the food and water has already helped the situation.... i dont know if tums have any side effects for lewy body.. but guess i thought since some eat them like candy.. they might be lighter in dosage...

hugs,
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 pm

My mom has been able to tolerate Tums with no side effects.
Ellen

Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks, everyone. It seems that elevating him to almost a sitting position and cutting off water earlier in the day has helped a lot. Cindi, I am going to message you....

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]