View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Belligerence 

Post Re: Belligerence
I think this is fairly common in LBD. I can't even imagine someone who is delusional or paranoid on a CPAP machine. :shock:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 pm

His sleep study confirmed moderate sleep apnea (which I knew he had and he's had for several years) with severe fluctuating oxygen levels. He used an oxygen mask many years as part of a flight crew in the Air Force, so where I would be very claustrophobic, he wasn't when he put it on. The doctor felt using the cpap may improve his mood and his cognition with time. The nighttime behavior is new and indicates a down-turn in the LBD. I'm saddened that this part of the journey has arrived already. I knew it would come, at some point, but not yet. I'd like to say I appreciate your comment, but I can't. Sorry.
God Bless,
Terri

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:16 pm

Here is a reference to REM sleep disorder in LBD, copied from the LBDA information page:

"REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) involves acting out dreams, sometimes violently. This symptom appears in some people years before any changes in cognition. Some sleep partners have reported being physically injured when the disorder was left untreated. RBD can be responsive to treatment by melatonin and/or clonazepam."

I'm glad to hear he doesn't mind the mask and the sound of the CPAP as it will probably help him. Please take measures to protect yourself. BTDT.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Terri - based on your latest posts, it seems like your safety is in serious jeopardy and you need to seek out some alternatives to the current situation. Please take care of yourself! Lynn

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Thank you Lynn for the kind words. I've been doing my research and knew this was not the same as the REM sleep behavior disorder that John has had for years, long before he was diagnosed, and a few years before the cognitive changes were noticeable. I know this is a progression of the disease. I had hoped we could avoid this type psychotic behavior. John has always been respectful and never violent so I thought, maybe??? Anyway, not so. I know this is just the beginning. The doctor prescribed his first anti-psychotic medication, Seroquel, at a very small dose. I'm going to inquire about bed alarms and get a lock for the guest bedroom door. That way, if my kids or my sister spend a night or two here, they can lock their door at night. We have a split Cal-King memory foam bed and I can also take them out of the larger frame and move them apart as each has it's own base. That will turn them into two separate twin, extra long adjustable beds. With that, and an alarm on his bed, I should get enough time to react if he gets out of bed. If it gets worse, or can't be controlled by the medication, I'll have to look into nighttime help or something. The bigger thing, I think for now, is the sadness I feel and the tiredness from sleeping with one eye open. I know each of us has this roller coaster, with the hurts and joys constantly changing, but I'm now learning how those with loved ones in later stages of LBD feel. I've never been with anyone who put fear in me. One day at a time...

God bless,
Terri

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Sounds like you are doing it "one foot in front of the other" and have some ideas for the future, which will be a help to you if/when you need to make more serious changes. It is a horrible disease to deal with, and it doesn't get better, which makes it even more frustrating and exhausting. Just take care of yourself as much as you possibly can so you can keep your strength up. You can't be a good CG without being healthy and strong. Sending you good, positive thoughts tonight. Lynn

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4