View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Brain autopsy results--not LBD 

Post Brain autopsy results--not LBD
We just got my mom's brain autopsy results. She had frontotemporal dementia. Instead of Lewy bodies, she had tau deposits. The more I've read about FTD, the more I see it. She didn't seem to have a big personality change, though, like I've read about with FTD. I'm not sure that she ever had hallucinations, either, which made me doubt LBD sometimes. I guess I was on the "wrong" forum, but you know what? I'm glad I was. I couldn't have asked for a better online community for support as I dealt with this. Thank you.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Post Re: Brain autopsy results--not LBD
My next-door neighbor's husband died last year from FTD. She and I shared a lot of experiences in common. IMHO, there are more similarities than differences in dementia behavior. I often wonder how many who are diagnosed with 'Alzheimer's' [the blanket diagnosis] really have Lewy. I see some in my husband's SNF who seem to be classic LBD but maybe haven't been properly diagnosed. It probably doesn't really matter except for the medications. And whichever dementia it is, it's a heartbreaking condition for all concerned.

I'm so glad you were here with us and it was good of you to share the results. Please continue to touch base if you can.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for letting us know, and as Pat says, it probably doesn't matter in the long run and many of the symptoms, CGing issues, etc. are so similar. I was afraid if my dad got a different dx I wouldn't be able to participate in this forum, but everyone here assured me back then that people are welcome here, despite which type of dementia our LOs have. Lynn

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:04 pm

I am glad you got the results back and you now know for sure what your Mom had, none of us can be really sure unless the brain has been studied. So as to being on the wrong forum that's not really true because if that's the case many are / were and that's OK as we are/were all caregivers to some form of dementia and honestly I really don't think it matters much anyway what it is !

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]