View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis 

Post Re: Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis
NanaJayne,

Don't get too discouraged. Go to an attorney (or have one come to you), making sure of a background in elderlaw and VA matters. Don't do it alone unless you have to. Have another family member or close friend around to support you. You can bring anyone you want to see an attorney or meet one in your home. And talk with social services in your area. They usually have an area of service that is dedicated to working with seniors. A social worker should be able to give you practical information about getting help.

With that attorney, don't just focus on your husband's needs. I know it makes some uncomfortable but if you don't do this now, you could find yourself in an even worse situation - broke with no assets. Talk with the attorney about the assets you are entitled to keep for your own maintenance. Ask the social worker the same thing. Then sit down with your banker and get all the finances set up as best you can. The amount you are allowed to keep is small, but very important to your future. I can't emphasize that enough.

LBD is no cheap date. So before you buy anything for your husband's care, check to see if Medicare or other senior services will help with the cost. Most medical supply stores have staff well aware of these things.

Please don't get discouraged. I haven't had much experience with the VA, except to get Mom's widow's benefits restarted. Be ready for modern inconvenience. My last call to them required that I leave a message and they will call back. It's not like an answering machine where you are likely to get a call returned. You actually make an appointment for when they will call you back. I will say, though, that the guy that called back was very nice and helpful.

Kate

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6