View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 haldol warning tool for caregivers to use in ER 

Post haldol warning tool for caregivers to use in ER
I just found this on another forum and thought folks here might find it beneficial. It is a newspaper article from Australia about a patient who died after being given haldol by a doctor at the hospital when the patient became agitated.

I am copying it and carrying it with me in my purse along with my list of meds that could be dangerous for my husband, who has LBD, and the one page description of LBD that can be found on this website. If we must go to the ER or John must be hospitalized, these papers will be shown to every medical person who sees him. That way all are alerted to do their own research before treating him. (Most confess to be unfamiliar with LBD.)

I use the words, "I am sure you would want to DO NO HARM and these medicines can hurt or even kill my husband." That has not failed to stop the action and get attention on the spot.

Here is the link for the article in case you want to use it, as well.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hayden-donnel ... d=10828412

Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Post Re: haldol warning tool for caregivers to use in ER
That's an excellent article, Pat! You are right--they are more apt to sit up and take notice of something like that than they are of educational material, alas. The LBDA fact sheet does specifically mention Haldol and I highlight that in yellow before handing them out to caregivers. Sadly, ER physicians are not usually up to date on dementia issues and many have never heard of LBD.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 am

Post Re: haldol warning tool for caregivers to use in ER
Thanks pat...will add it to my collection....

Cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]