View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Telephone scammers 

Post Telephone scammers
Nearly every day, we hear of people--usually elderly--taken in by telephone scammers. I often wonder how many of them have dementia. There were a few times when my husband would have been a victim had be been able to locate his credit card or knew our bank account number! Very scary. It's a bitter irony that sometimes they can trust total strangers and yet be highly suspicious of loving and loyal family members, neighbors and care providers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

Post Re: Telephone scammers
Good point, Pat. Fortunately, this one is fairly easily resolved by keeping credit cards and banking info inaccessible to LOs who might be scammed. Just a few days ago, my mother received some kind of robo-called scammer (she is unlisted) on her phone at the NH. Luckily, I was there and she was bewildered so she handed the phone to me. I hung up as soon as I figured it out. No point in telling those people to take you off their list--it won't happen because they are concerned about abiding by the law. Of course, she doesn't have any financial information to give them, but it was still disturbing.

Julianne

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]