View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 End stage issue: Artificial Nutrition and Hydration 

Post End stage issue: Artificial Nutrition and Hydration
Because of the swallowing issues that are common in late stage LBD and the need for all LBD families to eventually face end-of-life decisions, the article below may be a helpful resource.

Artificial Nutrition and Hydration: Beneficial or Harmful?
By Cheryl Arenella, MD, MPH
Source: American Hospice Foundation

http://www.americanhospice.org/articles-mainmenu-8/caregiving-mainmenu-10/48-artificial-nutrition-and-hydration-beneficial-or-harmful

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:05 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: End stage issue: Artificial Nutrition and Hydration
Good article clarifying the different types of gastro-enteral interventions and what they do or do not accomplish. I found a few of the statements a bit misleading and could certainly see that the article had an objective. It's a valid objective, though, overall. Thank you for sharing it. I'll save it to my files.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Post Re: End stage issue: Artificial Nutrition and Hydration
Thanks for posting this. I hope I won't be needing the info. any time soon, but it also is a good reminder to have discussions about these types of issues BEFORE anyone needs to make decisions AND to have a very thorough AD written. Lynn

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]