View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Does anyone have any experience putting in a cement ramp? 

Post Re: Does anyone have any experience putting in a cement ramp
Yes, Lynn. I would like to be able to share here on the forum. Thanks.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am

Pat - would it be possible for you to PM me your phone no. because there are nearly endless possibilities and if I can get certain info. from you while you are looking at your computer, then hopefully I can figure out the best way to teach you how to do this. It can be very different from one computer to another. But first question, do you have a Mac or a PC? I only use a PC these days and haven't used a Mac in about 20 yr. so if you do have a Mac you need to find a Mac user to help you. Sorry. If a PC user, I'll get in touch with you asap. Lynn

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry I'm so late to this thread. I had cement work for a new garage floor a couple of years ago and I liked the contractor, but I don't know if he has done anything with disability ramps. And, of course, I'm on the west side of the Cities so this contractor may not be the best for you. I hope you found someone good, Jeanne. Interestingly, my garage floor cost about what your estimates for the ramp seem to be.

We only used a ramp for Mom for a few weeks and we rented it. There are a number of places around here that rent them, but in 10 weeks, you would probably have paid for your cement ramp. On the other hand, my extended family has been using a wood ramp for decades and the motorized chair involved is still supported by that same ramp (though it doesn't seem that strong to me). The aesthetics of the ramp were dealt with by a hedge.

Are you putting a railing on the ramp? How are you dealing with the edges of the ramp from both a safety and landscaping perspective?

When it's done, I'd love to see a picture.

Kate

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Here is a photo album recording the process of the cement ramp redo. It starts with the "before" picture and ends with the final result. You can see how they added dirt on either side once it was poured and dry. Hope this may help someone who has a similar situation. Our ramp really works well for us! And it feels like we are on ground level the whole time due to width of the porch area not crowding us.
Here is the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1090752865 ... directlink

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Kate, I think Jeanne is taking a time away from the forum. I hope my pictures may help you a bit.
I really miss having Jeanne here. She is a compassionate advocate caregiver and a role model for how to handle the early stage of LBD.
Take care,
Pat

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 pm

I am sure she can be private messaged !

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3