View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Surgery & Anesthetics 

Post Surgery & Anesthetics
My husband is having a procedure that requires anesthetic. I know that there are some that should be avoided but cannot find information about it. Does anyone know where I can get the info? I need to copy it for our meeting with the anestheologist.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

Post Re: Surgery & Anesthetics
Hi Kate,

I don't think there's a list of anesthesia to be avoided. Most of the inhaled anesthesia found to cause an increase in brain amyloid aren't used in most US hospitals any more. The names I recall are halothane and isoflurane. You can do a search here of posts on those two inhaled anesthetics.

Seems like propofol via IV was found to be bad (caused an increase in brain amyloid) in one study that I think was done in mice. Propofol in various forms is widely used. Again, you can do a search here of posts on propofol.

The LBDA science advisory board has never published a list of anesthestics, to my knowledge. They have said that local anesthesia and regional blocks are preferred to general anesthesia. I think there's an old post from Angela Taylor here on the Forum about that.

If your husband experiences orthostatic hypotension, some additional precautions may need to be taken in terms of hydration. I don't know any details on that but it's something that I've seen posted about on the MSA online support groups. (Nearly all MSAers have OH, while only 40% of those with LBD do.)

Best wishes to your husband for the surgery.

Robin

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am

Post Re: Surgery & Anesthetics
Katie, that study Robin spoke about was done by University of Pittsburg Medical School and you can likely find it if you google "anesthesia study University of Pittsburg..."

I remember that propofol was shown to cause clumps in mice brains when propofol was given in high doses, but not low doses.

Also, you can do a search here for "anesthesia" and find what others have said in the past.

I understand your concern. Went through the same thing a few months ago with my John.

Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]